Cultivated Reef

My Refugium help!

w1dude

So my fuge is a hob fuge. It is a AC110. All i have in it now is a piece of live rock and my heater. The fuge is for a 12g tank. Should i put some type of micro algae? Because the guy from my LFS said i didnt need to.

Also he said not to put live sand since it is a mechanical filter. Is this info correct?

bubbles3660
So my fuge is a hob fuge. It is a AC110. All i have in it now is a piece of live rock and my heater. The fuge is for a 12g tank. Should i put some type of micro algae? Because the guy from my LFS said i didnt need to.

Also he said not to put live sand since it is a mechanical filter. Is this info correct?

Some people decrease the flow for this type of fuge - removing all the filters, modifying the filter basket, setting flow speed to absolute minimum, and even trimming the impeller blade. Otherwise the current will be too strong for the sand to settle. (Also fitting mesh on the return to catch any debris.) imo, the water volume is so small that its usefulness as a true fuge is debatable. I was just happy to get the heater and some chaeto out of the main display of my 3 gallon. I ditched the sand after awhile but kept some live rock rubble. I used an alternate light cycle on the chaeto - but that was overkill.

--bubbles

SaltWaterNewb

You want macro algae, not micro. Micro is the stuff you don't want in your tank. Also, no need for sand in a fuge that small. No benefit. I would also think twice about adding the LR rubble. It will collect a lot a crud and unless you clean out the fuge often the water may become fouled. Get yourself some chaeto (macro algae) and stick in there and place your heater in there and call it a day. The AC 110 has plenty of room that you can get enough chaeto in to that it will help improve the quality of your water. Even if it is just a little bit that is better than not at all.

You want macro algae, not micro. Micro is the stuff you don't want in your tank. Also, no need for sand in a fuge that small. No benefit. I would also think twice about adding the LR rubble. It will collect a lot a crud and unless you clean out the fuge often the water may become fouled. Get yourself some chaeto (macro algae) and stick in there and place your heater in there and call it a day. The AC 110 has plenty of room that you can get enough chaeto in to that it will help improve the quality of your water. Even if it is just a little bit that is better than not at all.

awesome! i will do that. None of the LFSs seem to have chaeto. Is there anything else?

awesome! i will do that. None of the LFSs seem to have chaeto. Is there anything else?

You can get chaeto at reefcleaners.com they are a sponsor and have awesome feedback

Archived