Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

corals and powerheads

shermantt2001

shermantt2001

I have 2 corals, an anemone and spiral coral. I have a CSL retrofit 32w bulb and everything seems ok/normal.

I have 2 questions ...

1) Is there any nutrients i need to feed the corals ?

2) Is it wise to get a powerhead for circulation (MiniJet 404), cause right now i only have a hob filter.

thks ...

details:

7 gal mini-bow

1 cleaner shrimp

2 turbo snails

5 blug-leg hermit crab

1 clown fish

8 ibs LR

2 ibs crushed coral

Don't know why you got an anemone for your tank. It's not going to last very long in captivity. The anemone is probably over a hundred years old, and once it's taken from it's natural habitat they tend to die, just a heads up. I'm not bashing you, but I thought you should know. Do some research on Reef Central about them.

Yes get a power head, you want to have at least 10X water flow. So if you got the minijet 404 and set it so that it's moving 70+gallons of water an hour you'll be set.

Peace

Edge

anemones can be difficult and many anemones are not conducive to nanos due to their size (i.e. squeezing a nurse shark into a nano) or temp requirements. but we're all bucking the 'natural' order of things just keeping reef tanks let alone nanos.

i agree with edge, (altho i q the 100 yr-thing) you should research your livestocks' needs. spiral coral; monti cap or turbinaria or something else?

anemone will probably need to be fed as your system is small and young (i.e. not enough plankton or fauna for passive predation). your lights may be sufficient for its photosynthesizing needs (if it's even photosynthetic).

you might want to try soft corals first or FOWLR and then slowly migrate over to more demanding animals. having a nano is difficult enough (a trad-reef is easier imo), adding difficult/demanding livestock doesn't make it easier or cheaper.

Tinyreef,

I appologize if I made it sound like I knew how old anemones are when they are taken from the reefs. I belive I read that in an article on RC in the reef keeping magazine. not 100% though but I do remember reading that some of the anemones taken from the reefs can be over 100 years old. I look into finding this article and let you know the outcome.

I do agree that keeping a Nano is demanding. My first aquarium ever has been my nano in progress. But the challenge is where the enjoyment is derived from.

Shermantt2001,

Just make sure you do your research, loosing livestock in this hobby can be very expensive. You should get a powerhead, just make sure you know which corals need high water flow and which don't. You don't want a coral that requires low water flow next to the powerhead, and vice versa.

RC is the place to be. If you have questions about a certain creature you're sure to find info there.

no need to apologize ;) i was just surprised at that figure. you may be right, some specimens may be that old considering they sometimes bud off the original as they reproduce. i wouldn't think it's the norm or commonplace is all.

we're all just hobbyists here. i gots me no edumacation on marine bio either. :P we're bantering back and forth from our pers experiences and looking for thongs. sorry, if my post looked like a slam or anything.

:flower:

another anti-anemone discussion...sheesh

Edgecrusher...I'm gonna go nuts if I hear one more person say how unnatural it is to keep one when they themselves own a nano tank.

unlike you, I HAVE taken marine bio classes and you CAN keep an anemone.

Just because you cant keep one doesnt mean someone else cant, why do people insist that these can not be kept in home aquaria when I know many people that do.

sorry double post

I am going to get a freakin anemone TODAY as soon as work is done...I have kept one before in school and I'm gonna keep one in my tank as well...I'm quite frankly quite annoyed at all of these discussions advising people not to get these when you can keep one with proper diet, location, care and attention.

hey jl ,

no need to flip on the man just explain in a decent manner. cant wait to c some pics of your tank as you r getting a anemone. i have the same tank so i feed off ideas from you who have the same tank and know everything aabout it

sorry about that...I didnt mean to get all bent. I had finished replying to another post where people were discouraging another member not to get an anemone when I come upon this one...and I was like no way!

but your right sltwtr4life...I'll take some pics tonight and I can post em here, or if anemones are so taboo and no one can bare to see the pic of it in "captivity" I can email it to you ;)

oh yah...I'm ready for all of the "haters" LOL

this is a little hobby of mine, along with many others...so if people dont like what I do...well thats their right too.

I have had course work in biology that deals with this stuff so that has kinda desensatized me to many things that people would never do.

ya i guess! thats all true. plus its your tank do what you want! but ... ocassionally some one needs to step in and say thats enough when youve had like 8 anemones and they have all died, you know what im saying? like its ok to do what you want just as long as you know what your doing and getting yourself into

true...but I'm just going for one bubble anemone...if it splits I can give it away....I really dont want tank filled with them or anything.

just one that can chill in my little Nano Cube:)

yup i have the same tank and i dont think im going to get a anemone, but i might get a bubble coral! same jsut not a anemone ( i think ). my tank is actually doing really good! im suprised. this is my first salt after having my fresh for a year and a half and still going strong!. in my nano i only have a shroom, a couple featherdusterters (hitchhikers really small) a clown and a scotter blenny, after a couple more weeks im going coral shopping!

shermantt2001

thats awesome, i didnt know i would get a lot of replies ;)

thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Will let you guys know how it goes. A good question, on trying to search for more info on corals in this forum, but is there good sites that i can check out for that stuff ?

thks everyone ....

Jltruk,

where did I say it's unnatural to keep anemones? I just suggested that he research before jumping into things? From what I've read about other's anemones dying, seeing dead ones at the LFS, reading and such I thought it might be good info to give him a heads up.

I'm glad you took marine bio classes, more power to ya. I bet there's alot of people on this forum that would love to have that opporitunity, my self included. But what I didn't know was that the prerequisite for Marine Bio 101 was to be a jerk. I was making a suggestion and I feel that he can take it anyway he wants, it is his tank after all and his money.

So when you get off your soap box maybe we can have a civilized discussion and you can lend some of your knowledge to us less fortunate members of this community.

Shermantt2001,

Sorry for making your thread turn into a hater room, that was not my intention. I'm so disgusted right now I don't know what else I can say without getting banned. I'm also sorry that my info was inaccurate and not up to the standards required by some of the members of this board. I apoologize for trying to help.

Peace

Edge

Originally posted by EdgeKrusher

Don't know why you got an anemone for your tank. It's not going to last very long in captivity. The anemone is probably over a hundred years old, and once it's taken from it's natural habitat they tend to die, just a heads up.

here is where the "natural" argument came from. In essence taking it out of its "natural habitat" and putting it into an un-natural one, the tank.

I already apologized for getting bent, and the only reason it appears that I am on a "soap box" is because there are so many people, not just you, telling others not to get an anemone.

Many Newbies get an anemone, dont know how to care for it, it dies and then they tell everyone else never to get one.

Its like in freshwater, people don't like the Discuss because they are prone to hole in the head disease, so they tell everyone not to get them. Well, if you knew how to properly care for this Cichlid you would not have an issue. This is the same for the anemone, I just see members consistely giving others advice on what they have "read" or what they did when they first started their salt tanks and their anemone died. Well, thats the fault of the pet keeper, not the anemone.

There are so many people on here that are telling others not to keep an anemone and I can bet you they have never even owned one, or if they did it died because they did not care for it properly.

I am now off the soap box, I am sorry again for coming at you all rude. I'm good now.

Well, I'm gonna jump in. I've had my poor little anenome (that is trying to take over the world) for 4 years now......he just gets bigger and bigger. (He's a Condy) We started in a 5 gal. tank. He now takes up over half a 10 gal tank. (fixing to have to move up again) I don't do anything special, I have regular NO lights,(60w total) I do a water change once a week. I feed him probably everyother day. Just a varity of "stuff" sometimes shrimp, sometimes fish food, whatever I have around I think he'll like (he isn't picky). He seems all happy and healthy always puffed up and showing off until it's bedtime.....he shrivels all up at night, the first time he did this I did think he was dying. He has a clown that is hosting him....a nasty little mean tomato clown but, they love each other.

I got my condy from the LFS. They were pretty sure he was dying, he was limp and very sad looking. So I got him for next to nothing. I didn't have anything in my tank except for LR and LS, and a clean up crew. I had no idea what I was doing but I figured "hey he was gonna die there for sure" Well he perked right up. Personally I don't think they fed him enough.....they do seem to eat ALOT! So had I read the horror stories before I probably wouldn't have tried it, but I'm glad I did. He brings me alot of joy even if I can't really put anything else in my tank.

Now having said all this...if your going to try one be ready to get a bigger tank if he thrives. Don't plan on putting anything else with him. Power heads are a no no, I do have a HOB filter but I'm really careful to cover the intake with a piece of panyhose, and I don't run it all the time. Mostly what I run is a little sponge filter. Lighting doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, but I do feed him pretty heavily, so water changes are a must.

Good Luck.....

A clown hosting in a condy..this I'd like to see. Have pics? As the two species are from different oceans and the condy is quite the voracious predator...it'd be interesting to see. I keep an E. quadricolor (BTA) in my 29, in which I have a tomato clown hosting and its been doing well for going on 6 months now. I'm not advocating a newbie go out and get a M. doreensis or anything..but by all means..if you have to have an anemone..get one...but know what you're getting into first. Its all fun and games until it starts melting down..or gets tentacles sucked off into a powerhead...or gets singed on your heater...or gets picked on by hungry fish...or or or...lol. And if you are going to get one..I'd suggest making it the first cnidarian addition to a well-cycled tank..as I had to rearrange a half dozen of my corals to be "out of the way" once the BTA had picked its spot in my reef (and believe me..it WILL pick its own spot...and take its sweet time and moving around a lot to do so.).

BTW--whats a spiral coral? scientific name (at least to the genus level)? Just wondering...

HTH..

deimos,

clowns will take up with anything. kinda like my ex-wife. :blush:

now that pic isn't exactly fair because it's off my display tank but it shows it's possible at least.

jl, that discus/FW was a good example. i was actually thinking of show dogs or other difficult pets before. that's a very good analogy imo (discus ~ goldfish, anemone ~ whatever).

Archived