Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Choosing between Refugium and Sump

sun337

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my tank from 5.5g to 20g. Initially I was planning to go for a bottom drilled tank with a sump below, but since it involves more plumbing work and high probability of mistakes, I am now thinking to go for a Refugium on one side of my Display tank. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Thanks

Stephen-in-Va

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. I decided to go with a 20g sump for the 30 gallon I just set up minutes ago :). I have cheato in the sump and plan to add a little in tank refuge I have for some other types of macro. I'm also planning to use this sump for a holding tank for new stuff (2 fish I don't want are in there now). Light is on a reverse period of display light (hopefully if I'm not as tired as I think I am when I set it up). I chose to go with a sump and cheato just for added water totals. The space I had available could have held a larger tank but I decided on the 30 for financial reasons concerning lighting and other equipment. I'm using an overflow on my setup. I didn't want a drilled tank or to have a tank drilled so the overflow was the only choice. Mostly it's up to what you feel would work better for you. If you don't want an overflow or a drilled tank I'd go with the hang on refuge. I may even add one as the tank progresses.

Archived