Top Shelf Aquatics

Help on coral ID

Signmom99

I got this polyp from my LFS and this coral came attached to the rock.  Freebie!  But I can't figure out exactly what it is and how to take care of it.  It is green in the recesses and kind of brownish red on the raised part.  It seems to be not real happy and I would like to position the polyp so both are happy.  Have it about half way down in my 12g under 32w smartlite.  Anyone have any ideas?  

Mvc-009f.jpg

It looks like a Blastomussa wellsi, commonly called a pineapple coral. According to a book I have, they come from deep water so they prefer low currents and moderate lighting. I would also try feeding it.

-Chris

Clownfish1030

Thanks for the picture, it was really helpful.  I disagree with Chris.  It could be a blastomussa, but it looks like something else that i have in my tank also.  I don't remember the name, but i will look it up and post the name tomorrow.  If it is soft and fluffy, then it is a blastomussa.  If it is hard then it is what i think it is.

Cool looking coral! That's in the middle of a clump of star polyps, right? Wish I could help with the ID. All I can say is "looks like some kind of tiny brain". But it's very attractive, I hope you find out what it is & what it likes so you can take care of it.

And are blastomussa always soft and fluffy? I thought they were hard underneath the polyps. But I've never had one either.

Blastomussa are stoney corals, so they have a hard skeleton underneath. But the polyp tissue will be soft if it is expanded. I'm not positive on the ID, that's just what it looks like to me. The pic in my book looks very similar to it. It's a cool coral whatever it is. I wish I got hitchhikers like that.

-Chris

Thanks everyone, it looks to be hard.  And nothing comes out with or without light.  

But feed it?  How do I do that, or should I say....with what shall I feed it or attempt to feed it?

Hey one more thing, I want to be able to put my info at the bottom of each post like carrie does (I think it's her), so I don't have to type it each time.  Can anyone tell me how to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.etropicals.com/main/cat/anem_co...clam.htm#Corals

I think i found what u are looking for this is a really rare coral  click on the link above  i would insert a pic but it will not let me the name of the coral is called a big pipe coral Blastomussa merleti  click the link to see sight scroll down till u see rare in left center

http://www.etropicals.com/main/cat/anem_cor_crab_and_clam.htm#Corals

(Edited by Cam barr at 9:43 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

Cam barr you may be right.  Kind of looks like either that one or the one listed below it.  Assuming one of those to be the correct item, how do I find out how to feed it?  I see no evidence of tentacles, or a mouth of any kind.  Could it be a filter feeder type or photosynthesis?  The quest goes on.  Seems to be doing ok though.  I do believe that it is growing.  Some kind of crustaceous (sp) growth pattern.  It is spreading into the polyp.  

I know this is late in the game but I really don't think your frag is a Blastomuss at all.  Blastomussa have individual columns with heads that come together like Caulastrea (trumpet coral).  It really looks to me more like a Favites sp.

Steve

Archived