Cultivated Reef

To have or not- Bio wheel

Chrash236

I know that this has been asked a thousand times, but I can't find an answer. Should I keep the media to use for filtration, or do I loose it? Do I keep the bio wheel or loose it also? I have a penguin 170. Please give me reasons for why I should keep or loose.

My tank includes:

10 gal all glass

Cl-96 watt light

Penguin 170

Via aqua 101 powerhead

11 lb LR

15 lb LS

1 true percula clown

1 bubble tip anemone

4 turbo snails

4 blue legs

1 emerald crab

1 bubble coral

My understanding is to loose it because the LF and LS will help you with the bacteria and stuff. I used to have a Eclipse 6 and the bio wheel was included and cycled. Someone here said that having a bio wheel is good, but one must know how it works. I think most people like to ditch it.

~I'm going sump so I don't think I'll be needing it. Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone. Thank you

Hahaa.. freakin noobs. (I'm one)

Well, lesse here. I hit the search engine and typed biowheels and lo and behold I hit the jackpot. Hehehe! Just yanking your chain guys. No worries...

There are tons of posts about biowheels but here's a good one to start with.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...light=biowheels

Personally I ditched mine. Ran the Eclipse with it for a couple of months and always had elevated trates. Took it out an no more trates. Coincidence?

I use floss and carbon 24/7 in mine! Well actually I have my HOB on a timer that kicks on about 9am and off at 7pm. My tank is in our bedroon and the dam HOB is so loud, water noise, that it was keeping us up at night. However, I rinse the floss once per week in RO water to keep it from going biological and change the carbon about once a month.

Rick

Here we gop again...

Don't take it off, take it off, its the same tnhing!

I havent taken mine off, and have zero nitrates. How's that for a "nitrate factory"?

Archived