Cultivated Reef

How do I attach flexible PVC to pump?

animalrie

gulfsurfer101

I have used silicone on mine. I actually have a 1/2 tube 12 inches longthat fits into my return pump outlet and then used the three quarter tubing over the 1/2 tube and over the pump outlet so the smaller tube sit's inside both the larger tube and the return pump outlet. I then siliconed the larger tube to the outside of the return outlet and places two zipties on the tubing holding it in place for added insurance. It's pretty ghetto but it works for me and no one can see it since it's hidden away.

The pump output is 1" and the flexible pipe is 1". However, the pipe will not slip over nor into the pump output...

I don't think barb fittings would work with flexible PVC, you need a slip adapter for it to slide into and PVC glue that is capable of bonding flex PVC pipe.

this is almost impossible to help you figure out without more infos. How do you wish to connect the pump? where is tank located in relation to the pump? hows the rest of the plumbing run? there are 90 degrees and straights, there are bushings/adapters that can be used, it all depends on your particular setup.

also what 'flexi pvc' are you using? if you are refering to THIS, you don't use glue (as stated by person above), you use a barbed fitting and clamp. (Hose also avaliable in black/reinforced)

IF you are using the flexi pvc I linked above, the easiest way to connect would be to use a straight FPT fitting to come outa the top of the pump (the straight up one) like THIS

and use a 90 degree to get the other one pointed in the same direction, THIS One

gulfsurfer101

I would find a peice of tubing that will slip over both the pvc tubing and the outlet pump. bond them with superglue gel and silicone. It's basically the same way I did mine but I have a tube that sits internally the pvc tubing and pump. Yours will sit flush with the return outlet and the outer tubing will act as male tomale adapter. Just use some zipties to keep it attached at the base of your return outlet and silicone the hell out of the pvc tube to the outer tube and do not use zipties there. It might cause an opening in your tubing. This is just an idea using the method that worked for me.

The whole point of flexible PVC is that you have a material that is more flexible than classic PVC pipe but that you can still glue fittings onto.

If you try to jam a hose barb into it, you might as well use vinyl tubing.

Flex-PVC -- always opaque, usually gray or white

Flexible%20pvc.gif

Vinyl tubing -- usually clear but can also be black

30931.jpg

Silicone tubing -- very floppy and translucent

Silicone_Tubing.jpg

Archived