Coral Vue Hydros

Montipora killer nudibranches.

Cyber

Hail Reefers,

Ok This is my experience with the montipora killer nudibranches. I recently bought a green montipora digitata frag. When I saw it in the store there were some white patches appeared to be tissues loss of some kind (that why it was sold as frag).Since it was only $10 for a pretty nice size (2x3"), I bought it. Brought it home, cut it in 2 frags, removed the white skeleton parts,dipped it, do all the normal voodoo stuff just like with all the sps. The frags showed all the polyps the next day...(not much action here).Few days ago, I started to notice the white skeleton parts somewhat expanded. Hmmmm, RTN? or the stress forced the coral to dump its fresh? I took the poor thing out and dipped it again. Since it happened only on one frag, I had no clue. The problem was identified after I visited Aquatic Creation store (also known as www.reeffarmers.com). The owner told me about the killer nudibranches. I went home took the poor frag out,

examine closely and found a bunch of tiny nudibranches having BBQ party on my digitata. I put the frag in a bow, put a few drops of NoxIch (dont know if it's effective or not, it's supposed to kill parasites), then I used a toothpick and remove them one by one. I am not so sure if I removed all the eggs and stuff. I redipped again in lugos' solution and put them back in the tank. Phew..

What I am afraid right now is my orange cap (montipora capricornis) sitting next to the infested frag and also my orange digitata. I dont know if they will be infested or not. These are as small as the tip of the toothpick. Right now, I assume these nudibranches attack montipora only. It can be a nightmare if they eat other sps as well.

For more information, check out www.reeffarmers.com. They have an article about this.

Long live the montipora!!!! Hehe

Cyber

Hey,

They do spread quickly and can take out most of your montipora spp. in no time...that includes the encrusting, plating, etc.... The best thing to do is take the frag out. Weigh the cost of one frag compared to all the other montiporas you have. They are a pain in the @SS and its amazing how quick they spread even in very large tanks. If you must save the frag give it a fresh water dip. The nudi's cant survive the dip and since its only a frag it may not either but its worth a try.

The frag will lighten in color big time but may recover after a few weeks.

BTW did you get my e-mail?

Archived