Innovative Marine Aquariums

12g Eclipse lighting question 32w or 96w

amyktexas

I setup my 12g nano about 8 weeks ago and now that the initial cost outlay has calmed down, I'm ready to address the lights. I had begun with just upgrading the 13W bulb that came with the Eclipse, but I'm ready to modify some more.

I would like to be able to keep a wide range of corals and possibly a clam. I had considered the 96W powerquad, but just realized that I don't think there is room to retrofit it and put in a fan or two to cool it without getting rid of the internal filter. Does anyone have any ideas? I had thought of the 96W with the little legs, but I have two small curious children and am concerned about the whole open lid thing... And I don't think the 32W retrofit is enough light...

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions. I am open to a HOB, but would prefer to keep everything as clean as possible.

Thanks,

Amy

Yes, I think 32W will not be enough for some corals and clams.

There is one guy here el_dante and another guy on RC that has pictures of retrofitting a 96W quad under their Eclipse hood. Both of them had to trim 1 inch off their reflector. The former retro-ed 2 fans but the latter says he doesn't have serious heat problems, he just leaves his hood cover ajar. Both retained their stock filter. el_dante even snuck an extra bookworm dawn/dusk light between his 96W and filter.

There's also one guy here using legs, which alleviates heat problems.

changsu,

The "other guy" you're thinking about is jdsabin1. You can view his tank in this forums member section. He has one of the most beautiful 12 eclipse reefs I've seen. Someday I hope to have mine half as cool as his.

I personally would go with the 96W, just cuz you can then have more light dependant corals.

Amyktexas,

As most will suggest, go with the 96 powerquad. You'll wind up changing the 32w faster than you think, as I did. As you can see in the thread that Changsu posted, there is a lot of room under the hood for you to play with. Without the bookworm that I added, I could have kept the filter, but I opted for more light and I got rid of the stock and added an Aquaclear 150. IMO, a much better filter than the stock: you can utilize an AQ 150 for auto top-off and you'll have more room on top to feed. At first, I was reluctant on getting rid of the neat look of the stock equipment, but trust me, the miniscule cosmetic sacrifice is so worth the benefit of having appropriate lighting. Good luck!

Okay, so I'm sold on the 96W, I am a bit concerned about the heat... but think I'll just go for it and retrofit fans or a chiller later since I'm more concerned about removing the lid and creating a great fishing tank for the kiddos...

Thanks everbody :)

I went the same route as you with my eclipse 12....started with the stock light, switched to a 32w supernova and finally the CSL 96w Powerquad. I ditched the eclipse filter as you dont need it and installed the light with the legs.

The fans are super-quiet and there is no heat gain..the only issue you have to deal with is evaporation. Its a great upgrade and one I'm glad I made. It opens up alot of possibilities for what you can keep in the nano.

Forgot to mention..my 3 year old completely ignores the fact that the nano is now an open top tank.

I've yet to find crayons or matchbox cars next to my rics..:o

Does anyone with am open top tank have issues with dust and particles. or would a hob filter take care of that? It would sure be nice not to deal with the removal of the hood which spills water all over...

I followed jdsabins set-up and installed a surface skimmer connected to the hob to deal with whatever may ride on the surface of the water..so far its perfect.

Archived