ReefCleaners.org

SPS in my tank?

Son Of Skyline

Son Of Skyline

Hi everyone. I did a couple of searches but I don't have any conclusive answers. Would I be able to keep SPS in my 27gal (18" high) with a single 175w 10000k MH hung 12-14" above the water surface? There is someone in my area selling nice SPS corals out of his tank for cheap, and I want to give it a shot if I can. Thanks guys and gals :)

I haven't done it but it seems like it might work. 27g is big enough to not have as many cooling issues as the small nanos. Just do some research and start off with "easier" ones. Let us know how it works.

I've got some Christmas tree worm rock with healthy Porites on it in my 20g, about 4" from the top under one 55w PC (half actinic, half 10000K). It's been there about a month and a half, so I don't really have long-term results but so far it's dong great - polyps come out well & look lush, and the edges are growing further out onto the rock even though when I got it it looked like it had had some shrinkage. But Porites is supposed to be one of the hardier SPS. I've never tried and others.

I'd say give it a shot!

NanoReefer53

175w seems kinda low intensity wise unless the SPS are really close to the surface. At the RC forums and chat, 250w on a 20gal was a good thing providing enough intensity. Well, with this you can support all SPS coral's lighting requirements but 175w would do nice for the easier ones like montiporas or porties.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 175 watt 10k blueline over my 20g hex (18" deep)

I just dont see the INTENSE colors like those using 250

cheers,

Joe

attachment.php?s=&postid=471699

(Edited by Jabrams at 12:01 pm on April 5, 2002)

NanoReefer53

You can try a 150w HQI pendent. They're bright as 250w mogul base bulbs. Only problem would be the need for a UV protecting glass.

here's a cool pic that I found on MH bulb comparisons

reef_light_comp_ani.gif

Son Of Skyline
Quote: from Christopher Marks on 7:47 pm on April 7, 2002[br]I think you *could* do it, though using more light would be a better route.  What have you thought of in terms of actinic suppliment?

Well, so far I think I'm doing it. With the exception of 1 acro that for some reason hasn't looked too good for the past week...but I'm pretty sure it's because my water has been going nuts lately (low pH, high calcium). Should I be using actinic supplements? Right now I'm running a simple 175w 10000k Coralife bulb. Thanks..

Archived