inTank Media Baskets

quiet one 3000 pump rant

disaster999

disaster999

just a mini rant about the pump. went to buy one today to get my 12 gal DIY reef system going again. im in hong kong right now and bought a queit one 3000 pump. the dude at the shop dry tested the pump before selling it to me and it made some noise like it was running. thought everything is ok so bought it and left.

went home and tried it out...no water was coming out. i looked at the impeller and it wasnt really moving, but it sure was vibrating and making some noise. took it apart to found out the impeller snapped off the magnet and basically free spinning.

i can just bring it back to the store and exchange for a new one, but just a pain in the ass making a trip just to return a pump.

should i be worried about my next pump? theres no return policy in hong kong and only get 6 months warranty. why would the impeller snap off the magnet like that?

EDIT: oops, this should be in equipment fourm, mods please move

just a mini rant about the pump. went to buy one today to get my 12 gal DIY reef system going again. im in hong kong right now and bought a queit one 3000 pump. the dude at the shop dry tested the pump before selling it to me and it made some noise like it was running. thought everything is ok so bought it and left.

went home and tried it out...no water was coming out. i looked at the impeller and it wasnt really moving, but it sure was vibrating and making some noise. took it apart to found out the impeller snapped off the magnet and basically free spinning.

i can just bring it back to the store and exchange for a new one, but just a pain in the ass making a trip just to return a pump.

should i be worried about my next pump? theres no return policy in hong kong and only get 6 months warranty. why would the impeller snap off the magnet like that?

EDIT: oops, this should be in equipment fourm, mods please move

wow...haven't had any problems with the quiet one's I have (3 total). They've run for nearly a year with minimal cleaning. I have one that has run dry for several days multiple times and still runs like new.

haven't heard of similar problems, although I haven't looked for them. I'd guess it's just a single mishap, maybe a machine didn't line up a part properly on the assembly line or something similar, something that every company experiences.

I bought my 3000 used and it has been running like a champ. I read about out Q1's have issues restarting after power failures but I haven't experienced such an occurrence and I've unplugged it several times.

disaster999

i guess just my luck i bought a broken one, i know a lot of you have used this pump before with no problems. just weird me out how the impeller just snapped right off.

ill exchange for another one and see how it goes

ya i have a 2200 and had no problems. Maybe it was damaged in transit to the shop or the guy knowingly sold it to you like that.

disaster999

so i went to the shop, had it replaced and its working like a champ.....another thing tho...their name is misleading...its not quiet at all.

just running the pump in a bucket of water with no hose attached, it still makes these humming scratchy noise

"Dry testing" a pump is always a bad idea. That might be how it got broken in the first place.

I cut up an old foam rubber mousepad and put it under my return pump. You might try something like that to absorb some of the vibration. Often it isn't the pump that makes the noise but rather the thing it is pressed up against vibrating.

disaster999

no, thats not the case, i had the pump suspended in mid water not touching anything, no load on the pump, just the pump itself with nothing attached to it and let it run. its still noisy really.

I let the tank run over night and it got even worse.

disaster999

sounds like it, its been more than 7 days since i bought it and the store gave me 7 days to return it if theres a problem. gotta take it up with the warranty and see what they could do.

yeah i personally dont think quietones are very quiet at all

my friend has one on his solana and its freakin loud and we tried everything

you can dampen the sound but it still makes noise

now the oceanrunners are really quiet and very reliable so far

disaster999

yeah, there isnt much choices to begin with here tho. most of the brands are china copies. dont really trust them (im in hong kong). the guy was telling me about this german brand pump but it was 50% more than what i paid for the quiet one.

disaster999

just called the shop i got it from...they can send it back to have it looked at...hope they could give me a new pump instead of having me wait a few weeks.

this sucks..first pump broke, second one is breaking -_-

disaster999

YEAH!!!! the shop actually replaced the whole motor for me. i had them test the pump IN the water this time so i dont risk damaging it from dry starting. I couldnt hear a thing when i was in the shop. brought it back home and its only producing a slight hum. the splashing water is louder than the pump it self!

happy happy..next up...getting filter pads, salt, sand, and rocks for cycle.

my quietone was making alot of noise like it wasn't working properly and they were very good about replacing it and letting us keep the old one.

Haven't seen an issue with mine. I'm running a 1200 in less than 4 gallons of water volume and I'm sitting happy at 78 degrees.

disaster999

i'll keep and eye out for the temp... definitely need a cooler tho since im in hong kong and yesterday was 100F.

its been a few hours since i ran the motor and everything seems fine. the pump sounded the same when i first put it in. report back in the morning...so far im pleased with it. and very happy the store i bought it from were friendly and willing to help.

What do you have it plugged into? A word of advice: if you use a UPS unit, make sure it doesn't invert the power to a square wave, as that will wear out most AC pumps in a hurry. AC pumps are meant to be run on clean sine-only power. Cheap inverters kill pumps, and they do it fast.

Archived