Pod Your Reef

Distilled water

Sexy Shrimp

Sexy Shrimp

I know it might sound like a stupid question but my condenser tumble dryer pulls off about 3 gal of water a week. As it is literally just condensed water would it be safe to use in my tank? It collects in a 1/2 gal self contained "cartridge".

What is the collection container made of?

Is this pure water or water that may be coming off of your clothes and or in the air that is unfiltered. I don't think I would trust it in my tank with all the money invested

Sexy Shrimp

Its water that has evaporated from the clothes (not spun off). It collects into a white plastic thingy. I'm going to check the TDS out of curiosity but I don't think I'm going to risk £1500 for the sake of sparing my RO/DI membrane a little bit of work ;)

I'm just thinking this through but if it is water off the clothes, it will have left over phosphates from the detergent used to clean the clothes. Right??

I find it interesting how far people will go so save the money on water that goes into our tanks! :D Personally, I would stick with the RO machine, lets you sleep at night!

Oceanic 30g

Like stevie said...

Do not trust this water. The money you could save is so small in comparison to the investment you have in your tank.

Sexy Shrimp
I'm just thinking this through but if it is water off the clothes, it will have left over phosphates from the detergent used to clean the clothes. Right??

It's evaporated water rather than water off the clothes. I'm not going to use it - but also because I don't know whether the plastic is food grade.

OMG, don't do it!!!! (I'm glad you decided not to!) Have you ever smelled the steam coming out of a dryer? I had one that vented out into my garden, and the steam coming out smelled just like laundry detergent. Water isn't the only thing that vaporizes off the wet clothes; there are going to be all sorts of nasty chemicals in that water!

Archived