Innovative Marine Aquariums

What fish?

eddie29

Hey,

i got a 16 gallon bowed and I just put my first fish in, a O. Clown. He is rather large at around 2.75". I'm going to wait a bit before putting another fish in there. The question is what other fish do you guys recommend? I was thinking of another clown that is smaller and then I don't know what else. I got a 10 gallon ref hooked up to this tank fyi.

Thanks

Eddie

Read up on other people's experience with introducing a 2nd clown into a tank with an established clown. I myself have had bad experiences.

Sometimes they will pair up, after some aggression if any. Sometimes one will kill the other.

What I have read was to introduce fish one at a time because the bacteria needed to handle the bioload needed some time to catch up with the extra load put on the tank.

Eddie

What you have read is totally correct from a biochemical perspective, but in the case of aggressive clownfish species, the behaviorial factor (risk) overrides the biochemical factor.

A good filter setup should be able to quickly adjust to the new bioload. I think the small biochemical stress is nothing compared to the physical stress to the newcomer and emotional stress to the reefer. (Witnessing one clown killing another right in front of your eyes, gee!)

But people's experiences vary, I've read of clowns that paired up easily.

Why'd you get the clown so big? See if you can return it for a smaller size. For smaller tanks, I always try to find the smallest size of whatever species I'm looking for.

definitly try to trade it in for 2 small O. clowns.

IF not keep him and add a goby. i would try a manderlin(not quiet sure on spelling) i think they are just cool looking. i never had one so i dont know much about it. 3.5" is max.

2 O. clowns is the best way to go, IMO

are you attached to you clown? if you are, keep him and give him a friend and name him.(my fav. names is Pip[boy] and Caitin[girl])

Getting your larger clown should be no problem, expecially if she was alone in the dealers tank. What this means is that she is almost 100% likely to be a female. All you have to do now is make sure that you get a much smaller clown that will be a drone/male. If you get another larger fish, it may be female and 2 females fight.

I find it easier to get a larger fish and add a much smaller fish later on. (preferably buy them 2 at a time next time)

SixLiner

Archived