Top Shelf Aquatics

GPH for a 10gallon

Toothpik

hi i have a 10 gallon with soft corals in it right now but i want to start placing like LPS such sun corals and candy canes and torches....now i know they need high water movement but is the tank too small for a korolia that send out 400gph...im scared of a whirpool effect!

I have 2 Koralia 1's in my 10G, remember it's not just a 400GPH blast...It is evenly distributed throughout the tank...I have no problems what-so-ever...it's an SPS tank.

-DCG

hey DCG! lol ive been watchin ur 10 gallon looks great! and the thing also even my korolia nano with 240gph puts a crater in my sand lol

hey DCG! lol ive been watchin ur 10 gallon looks great! and the thing also even my korolia nano with 240gph puts a crater in my sand lol

Thanks!!!

Let's see the nano puts a crater in the sand? Where do you have it placed?

IMO when all else fails try moving it somewhere else. I say give it a try with a Koralia 1...it won't create a whirlpool trust me...and the LPS and softies will love it...Is your rock work completely set in your tank? If not try moving some pieces around, that is also a determining factor...

I have one (Koralia 1) on the left side of my tank that is in the middle of the glass facing up...and the one on the right side tilted down just a little facing a little towards the front glass...You need to figure out the right balance to prevent a tsunami :D hahaha

Actually funny enough i had to figure out how to fix my AC50/Fuge to prevent a crater in the front of my tank...

-DCG

well i dont have much rock work bc atleast it was a FOWL but then i got a kenya tree and some zoas and got hooked...my rock work isnt large or anything doesnt even take up half the tank...but ill be buying one large one with ledges so hopefully that will help..ill try the korolia 1 and see how it goes ill pm u if i run into anything chaotic lol....and the tsunami kinda made me think of snails surfing O_o

and one last question....what about my clownfish? will he like tumble from the gph? lol also have a HOB noted for a 40gallon

well i dont have much rock work bc atleast it was a FOWL but then i got a kenya tree and some zoas and got hooked...my rock work isnt large or anything doesnt even take up half the tank...but ill be buying one large one with ledges so hopefully that will help..ill try the korolia 1 and see how it goes ill pm u if i run into anything chaotic lol....and the tsunami kinda made me think of snails surfing O_o

and one last question....what about my clownfish? will he like tumble from the gph? lol also have a HOB noted for a 40gallon

hahahaha, yes corals can be VERY addictive! Please let me know what happens! Yes, definitely consider adding more rock to the tank, i have about 16lbs in mine.

Your clownfish should be just fine, if he doesn't, just readjust the koralia, to find the right balance...but no he will not be smushed against the glass.

Good luck! Let me know!

-DCG

I have a koralia nano in my 6 gallon and have no problems with moving sand. It's all about the positioning. My poor clown fish hides in my rock work now though :lol:

lol i dont want my purdy onyx true percula hiding...he needs to show off his beauty lol

DCG-will do! Ill keep you posted

SaltWaterNewb

I would have thought so too until I did it and it really is not all that much. Remember though that the koralia power heads are a more gentle output rather than a straight stream that would be more likely to cause problems. I have all that flow and not a bit of problem with sand being kicked up.

yes,i remember the koralia is a bit more gentle um would it be too much to see ur tank and how u positioned ur equipment?

SaltWaterNewb
yes,i remember the koralia is a bit more gentle um would it be too much to see ur tank and how u positioned ur equipment?

Click the link in my sig and on the last page is an updated full tank shot. You should be able to see. If not I'll get another picture for you.

SaltWaterNewb

Ok, I just looked myself and you can see where they are but I'll explain the placement a little better. As you can see, the 1st nano is on the back about halfway down pointed just slightly to the left as you are looking at it so it bounces off the front glass. The 2nd nano is on the front glass point towards the rear and it near the top of the tank. This one is pointed down at a pretty sharp angle almost aimed at the rear lower corner. The AC70 is almost all the way to the left and the intake as you can see extends about halfway down. Hope that helps clear things up along with the picture.

not about GPH, its about smart placement of powerheads. one MJ could take that whole tank.

Sure it could but I feel that the tank gets a better quality of flow throughout the tank by using a couple smaller power heads rather than one monster power head. I have a large Aqua Clear power head that I stuck in there first just to see and it was not good. It is the AC70 which is about 350 gph.

gulfsurfer101

I currntly have a 492 gph at one foot return in a ten gallon along with a hob filter full of Lr rated for a thirty gallon aquarium and the flow in there is still moderate.

tengallondream.jpg

Archived