Cultivated Reef

High Alkaline!!!!!!

armyfishnj

I just put water into my 30gal.....Used instant ocean salt and now have a gravity og 1.021 and my PH is at 8.3....I used the Seachem Reef Buffer to raise and maintain my PH at 8.3. My question is that my alkaline has gone up also....will it make a difference when I add my LR and LS or is there a way to bring my alkaline down to a good level????? Please help!!!! I'm goin to be puuting my LR in thisa week.

Thanks for the help!

First what is the alkalinity at? also what is the calcium at?

Alk should be around 8.4 to about 10 DKH and calcium 350 to 450.

If you raise the calcium you should beable to drop the alk. Do you have a Cal./Alk. test kits?

I have never used buffers before so I don't know how it will effect the alk/cal.

If you are only puting in the live rock then you really don't have to worrie about it that much. But it is good to get the levels right early on, but I would wait until after the cycle.

If you use crushed coral then it will effect the cal,alk and PH some but I would use sand instead of crushed coral.

I would also get the salinity upto around 1.023, I have found that to be a good level for most things.

Try B-Ionic, I have been using it and it seems to be doing a good job. That way you can maintain cal/alk levels and it has all the added supplements you need.

Archived