Innovative Marine Aquariums

low DKH!

jc16

my 25 gallon been running for almost 2 months now and everything is going well execpt for ph and dkh, so i was suggested by lfs to buy kent marine pro buffer dkh, my dkh was a 7 b4 i dosed a couple of days ago tested with api test kit, i ahve dosed twice and now my dkh dropped to 6, whats going on? my other params are nirates 0,nitrite 0, ammonia 0, calcium 480, phosphate 0, and ph 8.2-8.4 all tested with api test kit, i ahven't tested for mg yet but will get testkit soon

If you put in too much buffer too quickly, it will cause a precipitate with the calcium, and you end up LOWERING both substances. When you add the buffer, do you get a cloud of white "smoke" where you are adding? If so, add it slower, or dilute it with some RO/DI water before you add.

It is only one idea, and it could be wrong.

What kind of hard corals/clam do you have that may use the carbonate that quickly?

dsoz

If you are trying to boost alk try just disolving Arm and Hammer Baking Soda in water and add it to your tank. It will have a temporairy effect of lowering Ph and thus you can avoid the precipitation problems dsoz talks about.

Don't add too much. Add it small increments and increase the dose gradually. Try with just 1 tsp first.

I have been battling the same issue...was dosing with Pro dKh buffer with little to no success...however, since I switched to BIonic part A I have been able maintain my Alk at acceptable levels...still not sure why I have to dose Alk but not Ca....

Interesting. I've been using the same saltwater mix for months. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed my dKH dropping. My calcium is at 425 pretty constantly, but my dKH is at 6 currently. I've got some Seachem Reef builder that I'm considering using. Safe?

Interesting. I've been using the same saltwater mix for months. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed my dKH dropping. My calcium is at 425 pretty constantly, but my dKH is at 6 currently. I've got some Seachem Reef builder that I'm considering using. Safe?

Have you checked the Dkh of your makeup water?

I believe the Reef Builder is safe. I prefer to just use Baking Soda.

Have you checked the Dkh of your makeup water?

I believe the Reef Builder is safe. I prefer to just use Baking Soda.

Aren't you supposed to bake the baking soda first?

Depends. If you don't bake it the Ph will drop slightly. I prefer to use un-baked baking soda for "adjustments" and the baked for daily dosing.

When using the baked sutff for adjustments sometimes the localized spike in Ph can cause precipitation.

Depends. If you don't bake it the Ph will drop slightly. I prefer to use un-baked baking soda for "adjustments" and the baked for daily dosing.

When using the baked sutff for adjustments sometimes the localized spike in Ph can cause precipitation.

Thanks for the info! I read about it before when we bought a tang with ich and I was trying to do the hypo quarantine and it suggested to used baked baking soda.

how do you bake the baking soda and how much to add? i've been using sachem reef carbonate but cannot seem to get kh over 8! why? I've been dosing more than the amount of the directions

Archived