SaltCritters.com

Clams and spawning

TiGs

I'm thinking about getting a clam of some sort. If the clam spawns, would it do massive harm to my tank? I think it would. I'm running a HOB with no media. I have no skimmer.

When I decide to buy a clam, should I add carbon and floss to the HOB just incase the clam spawns?

Suggestions and opinons needed.

I would highly doubt they'll spawn in a nano. It will cause some issues if they do happen to spawn in a nano. Carbon can help but really you need a water change ASAP. I'd avoid the carbon personally....

Cameron

Clams tend to spawn either naturally or when stressed. Excessive heat or fluctuations in water parameters can create this situation. If this was to happen, it could be disastrous if you didn’t catch it and do a water change. This is especially true if eggs are released instead of sperm.

Yes most often from stress they spawn and if you have a lot of clams its a problem, but mine spawned in the 20g (just one clam) the filter feeders took care of it in about an hour or two though. Be careful though as you don't have a protein skimmer or something like that and I did.

Archived