SaltCritters.com

For those with Carib-sea, Arag-live sand....

nanoty

I just got 3 bags of arag alive reef in yesterday, expires August, so right away the corner, but it was clean as a whistle too. I guess the bag could have been when quality was higher. I didn't have enough and went to the LFS and bough 40lb bag of dry and it had a few little bits of wood, but nothing major. Rinsed in RO/DI and it was actually pretty clean, surprised me.

I ordered some for my AP12 in february from live aquaria, not the caribsea, but their "live sand" It was so bad I had to rinse it over and over and the stuff that came out looked like the stuff in my gutters, bits of wood, leaves, etc. So it ended up basically being sand. I emailed them and they refunded my money no questions, so I suspect they have known issues.

I made this same mistake when I upgraded my tank and needed some more sand. I went to petsmart because I noticed they had small bags of CaribSea Ocean Direct. I bought a bag, put it in the tank, and got the same results as you. After using the Arag-alive Fiji Pink before, I was baffled about this new sand. After some research, I discovered that the "Ocean Direct" is just anything they could find thrown into a bag....

After months of being in the tank, big pieces of shells and rocks still become uncovered by my powerheads....and I had to constantly pick crap out of the tank. Lesson learned.

Do Not Buy Ocean Direct Sand......It Sucks!!!!

SeeDemTails

Yeah there are several types of arag alive, gotta get the right one. I dont remeber what type mine was, but it has been great thus far.

I've had a similar bad experience with the Ocean Direct stuff. The product that I always get good sand out of is the Caribsea sugar grain sized aragonite. It's anyone's best bet IMO.

Also, I forgot to mention that "Ocean Direct" now comes in an "Indo-Pacific Black" version which is also sold at Petsmart. This is in the "Ocean Direct" packaging which is different from the different from the Indo-Pacific Arag-alive packaging. Although I have no experience with it, I recently avoided purchasing it and instead purchased the Indo-Pacific Arag-alive instead - although they both look exactly the same as far as I can tell through the packaging.

Archived