Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calcium and Alk ?

jerry's

I have a few questions about Calcium & Alk. O.K. I just set up a 24g Aquapod 3 weeks ago my cycle is complete all parameters are within range, I did my first water change after cycle was complete. I don't have any fish yet, Waiting for my local fish store to get some Pearly Jawfish. I do have some Green star polps & Red Candy Cane w/3 heads. I fraged these from my 65g. Everything is doing great Clean up crew doing their jobs well.... Now to my questions. First let my give my tank parameters.

Temp between 79 & 80

Salinity 1.026

P.H. 8.2

Alk dkh 13

Calcium 440ppm

What i don't undersatnd is why my Calcium is above 400 and my kh is so high ? I have tested several times and get the same readings. I have not dosed my tank with anything. I use just the regular Instant Ocean Salt.

Is my kh ok at 13 ? I Know the tank is still very young. Just curious on what some of your opinions are.

filefish949

lots of times salt mixes come high in those departments, it helps because you are trying to replenish ca and alk with a 20% WC and the math just does nto work right, if you are going to run that high, you had better keep mindflull of your MG and keep it over 1300, or you'r going to have trouble

filefish949

yea, you need to regularly check calcium, alk, mg if you are going to keep stonys and nitrate, and a pH monitor if possible no matter what you keep, with a bigger tank you can cut it down to every 2 weeks, I test every month or so, but my tank has been running a while and it is a 180 so I have a very good idea what I will see before I test

Yea you are problably right about the hydrometer. I have a deep six and it's like 3 years old but i rinse it with fresh water after each use, maybe i will try a different one and see what kind of reading i get. It's mind boggling to have such high parameters in a tank that i have never dosed and is only 3 weeks old. Thanks for the info if anyone else has any other suggestions they are welcomed!

Archived