Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheap Moon light option

surfy

I got Two blue LED lights from Auto Zone. They are called Cruiz'n lights made by Pilot, only $6.00. They are external lights so they should be waterproof.

There are diffrent colors but I like the blue the best, they also florece some of my corals.

They are run by 12 volts but I am using a 9v power supply, and I am only using one because they are very bright.

The part # is CZ-119B

Very easy to hook up and very cheap.

So if you are ever in Auto Zone check them out.

Sorry I don't have a camera or pic. I havn't tried the other colors due to the fact that I wanted something more natural looking. Red, yellow,green,orange, etc. don't look to natural. I already have a white LED moonlight on my 35g so I got the blue for my 7g.

The blue isn't completely natural looking but it is still awsome at night when the lights go out.

I have the LED on both tanks pointing up at the reflector to disperse light evenly throughout the tank, that way it is not spotlighting anything inside.

But for $6.00 you wont loose much if you don't like it. You will also need a power supply to run them, but they are only a few bucks. I had a few laying around the house.

originally posted by Gilman

J-Bass, can i go?

Sure you can go Gil. We'll hit El Granjenal on 19th for some mexican food. Then a few dive bars. Then hit Alberto's for some past midnight rolled tacos. Then go home and wank ourselves to sleep to our brand spankin' new, just off the press Nano-Reef thong calendars...

Kalanianaole

I'm new to the whole electronics game. Where can you get power supplies for the moonlight? Other than from the floor in the living room. If you'd be willing to run through your process of hooking them up I'd be willing to read it and be much apprecative.

If you want to run one LED get a 9v transformer (power supply) or two LED's get a 12v (if you are using the LED's I mentioned above).

You should beable to get them at most electronic stores. Radio Shack should have them.

I got mine off an old chordless phone.

I cut off the plug on the power supply and striped the two wires back an inch or so to beable to hook it up to the LED wires.

I got some shrink tubing and slid it on both LED wires. Then I twisted the wires together, put a little solder on the wires to hold them secure. Then I slid the shrink tubing over the soldered wires and used a hair dryer to shrink the tubing to a tight fit.

Thats about it. I put some electrical tape over the shrink tubing just for a little more protection and taped both wires together.

Since it's only 9 or 12 volts you shouldn't have to worrie about geting shocked.

Another way you could do it is to take the LED light wires and connect them to a 9v battery. You will have to change the battery every so often though.

I run my moon lights 24-7. That way I don't have to turn them on and off every day.

Hope this helps. If you have any more question's ask away.

I forgot to mention, if you use shrink tubing you need to connect the wires head on -> _ _ <- to beable to slide the tubing over the exposed wires.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HEY SURFY, ON THE POWER PLUG I KNOW IT'S A 9VOLTER BUT HOW MANY MILLA AMPS IS YOUR PLUG , I HAVE 2 POWER PLUGS AND BOTH ARE 9 VOLTS BUT ONE SAY'S ITS 500 MA AND THE OTHER IS A 1000 MA DO YOU KNOW IF I CAN USE THEM TO DO THE SAME THING THAT YOU ARE DOING ???????? PLEASE HELP

Archived