ReefCleaners.org

Auto Top off system

yOyOYoo

I don't want to go through the fuss of just making my own auto top off and I would like to just buy a cheap one that is already set up.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=3677

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=...60&dept_id=%2D2 (same product just different link)

Can I just buy this, put it above my tank and fill the top up with water every now and then? I just want something simple and easy and requiring no effort to maintain or setup.

i was reading about float switches at this site: http://www.californiareefs.com/hangonevap.htm do I need something like that or can i just buy this auto drip gravity operated siphon? Setting up another powerhead just seems like too much trouble.

thanks for replies.

Id go with Cameron's float switch. over all you will be happier, and its VERY easy to set up. I dont think you will be as happy with the aquadose thing

Cameron’s float switch auto-top off system is very cool and reliable, although it's possible to imagine what would happen if the switch stuck.

Gravity fed drippers are good too; they are reliable and simple. I use a Kent doser to top off fresh RO/DI water, but I’m going to be replacing the pinching mechanism (that it comes with) with a plastic airline valve. It has been fairly hard to adjust the pincher perfectly and it needs readjusting more than I care to do.

I have already replaced the Kent's container with one that sits on a shelf above my tank. The only thing left that I use from the original Kent doser is the drip counter (which you can do without).

It would be quite easy (and inexpensive) to make your own dripper. All you need is a plastic container, an airline connector, an airline hose, and an airline valve.

· Cut the airline tubing in two

· Connect each hose to the valve

· Connect the airline connector to one end

· Drill a hole toward the bottom of the plastic container

· Use aquarium silicone to attach the airline connector to the container

· Place the other end of the tubing into your fuge, HOB filter, or your tank

· Adjust the valve to control the drip rate

I just did this idea yesterday. Cost me about

$10.00, works perfect !!

"It would be quite easy (and inexpensive) to make your own dripper. All you need is a plastic container, an airline connector, an airline hose, and an airline valve.

· Cut the airline tubing in two

· Connect each hose to the valve

· Connect the airline connector to one end

· Drill a hole toward the bottom of the plastic container

· Use aquarium silicone to attach the airline connector to the container

· Place the other end of the tubing into your fuge, HOB filter, or your tank

· Adjust the valve to control the drip rate"

Patjs

Archived