Coral Vue Hydros

Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt Testing Low

merfin70

Having finished my cycle, I went out and got some more advanced test kits. I just tested my tank for Calcium (Salifert & API) as well as dkh (API). The tank tested at:

Ca = 400

dkh = 7

So, I also tested a batch that I was prepping for a water change. That came in at:

Ca = 380

dkh = 6

These seem really low and I'm not looking to spend my life trying to adjust up so much to get to 'normal'. Anyone else using this salt and does it typically test low? What should I do? Ditch it and get something else?

masterbuilder

That’s about right for TM Pro. It’s designed that way, lower ALK.

Two reasons:

1) Pro is made for tanks with reactors, which increase ALK. So TM keeps it on the low side.

2) The trend in Europe is to run tanks with ALK near natural levels, so TM obliged their customers.

If you want to keep using TM, get their regular salt. It has higher ALK. Buy the way, at 400 CA balanced ALK is 7dkh. If you want to raise your ALK, just add some baking soda.

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html .... this will help with knowing how much to add.

Thanks Masterbuilder. If memory serves, you were doing a trial run on the Tunze Reef Excel salt. Are you still using it and if so, how has your tank been performing with the Tunze? How would the Tunze compare to the TM Pro Reef from your knowledge? What are you dosing when using the Tunze?

SeeDemTails

Unless you have a reactor, there is no reason for you to even consider the pro. Thats all its for.

I use regular TM and it works great in conjunction with b-ionic to keep my water really nice. I have used and seen many other salt types in use in my past experiences working at LFS's and the TM seems to be the best for me thus far.

Ug, that's no fun. I actually spent extra $$ to get the TM Pro Reef shipped to me since my LFS didn't have it in stock !!! Guess I didn't do quite enough reading before that purchase.

As an aside, do you put any stock in the 'roll the bucket around theory' to mix the salt and get rid of any settling issues of the different components from shippment? Even with the TM Pro Reef, my numbers are far different/lower from what I've seen people list from their mixes. Wondering for the future whether I should be taking my salt buckets for a couple of spins around the driveway before using them.

Thanks and btw you have a great looking tank. Yours is one of the reasons I decided to give this a shot. Wish me luck.

masterbuilder

Yup, I am still using Tunze salt. Its about the same as REGULAR Tropic Marin, slightly higher CA and ALK. I dont dose anything.

Tunze:

CA: 400-425

ALK: 8-9

MG - 1250

EDIT: I roll every now and then. Might not do anything but it cant hurt

I love the Pro...and I dont use a reactor.

But I keep bulk solutions in business dosing away :P

Ive found if you dose alot...this salt is great...and mixes real clean

Izzue

I use TM Pro also and I my Alk and Ca are great from batch to batch. No reactor here either. Alk sits at 9-10 dKH and CA is 420-450ppm. Barely have to dose anything throughout the wk. I use API tests so I hope my tests are correct.

Archived