Coral Vue Hydros

turnover rate

iglowce

i have a 30g tank.. and as of now here are the pumps in the tank

MJ1200 used with AquaC Remora

MJ1200 (second one) used as powerhead, and tilting diagonally across the tank

Hydor Koralia 1 used also as a powerhead, and tilting downward

i have a shipment of sps frags coming. do you think i have enough flow in the tank?

no, unless they are.....nevermind, no you don't. I'm not familiar with the remora skimmers, but I don't think you can count that pump for water movement. If that's correct then in reality you have 700gph moving in your tank. I have 2 K1's and a mag9.5 on a CL in my 30g, and although it's probably going to be enough flow, more wouldn't hurt.

If I were you I would consider one of the maxijet mods for that 1200, or another K1 atleast (mj mod is less expensive and will net you alot more flow ;) ).

I would not count the pump for the skimmer.

On my 30g cube I have.....

Eheim 1250 return from the sump

2x Koralia2's

with these I feel that it is enough to sustain SPS but still think I need more so I have a Koralia Nano on the way to stuff into the rock work.

SaltWaterNewb

You want anywhere from 20 to 40 times turnover rate so in a 30g tank you are looking at 600 to 1200 gph.

i am thinking of just taking out the MJ1200 (not the one wt the skimmer) and replace wt K2.

so if i were going to replace it, what should i have wt my K1 to give enough turn over for my 30g tank?

and whats the recommended turnover rate for an sps tank?

i am thinking of just taking out the MJ1200 (not the one wt the skimmer) and replace wt K2.

so if i were going to replace it, what should i have wt my K1 to give enough turn over for my 30g tank?

and whats the recommended turnover rate for an sps tank?

Probably go with a Tunze 6025 or another K2/K3. Generally 40X turnover for a SPS tank but you want good random flow, not just a huge powerhead blowing right at your SPS.

I have a vortech pulsing at ~500gph to 2000gph in my 30 gallon and my SPS seem to like the random flow.

i dont know what to do to it.. can you please show me?

also i have the same soap dishes as yours... except the sides of mine are still intact. i think you "somehow" broke off the sides.. how did you do that?

i dont know what to do to it.. can you please show me?

also i have the same soap dishes as yours... except the sides of mine are still intact. i think you "somehow" broke off the sides.. how did you do that?

mj mod

I basically burned mine off on a bench grinder. You could probably cut the sides off with a dremel pretty easily too.

The calculation for turnover is total gph of your pumps in the display (or return pumps that output directly into the display area) divided by the gallon size of your tank. Skimmer, chiller and reactor pumps don't count in this figure, nor does any pump in a sump or back chamber area that doesn't output into the display. In your case, you have a total of 1000gph worth of pumps in your display and would have a 30x turnover rate. Hope that helps you out.

I have a 30g tank myself, and have a Rio 14HF main return pump and a K2 for a total of 1440gph in my display which translates out to a 47-48x turnover rate.

Archived