Innovative Marine Aquariums

B-Ionic question

dsnider

Hello, I've been using the Calcium buffer solution (B-Ionic). I was dosing just calcium or just alkalinity based on what I felt needed to go up. But, after reading the directions, it says to use both at the same time. So, I dosed last week with 10ML of both the Alkalinity and Calcium components. I checked my water chemistry today and my dKH was 9.5, and Calcium was 400. I'm trying to keep my Calcium @ 450 and my dKH @ 10-11. I dosed 15 ML of both the Alkalinity and Calcium components and retested 4 hours later. My dKH shot up to 11.5 (a little higher than I'd like it) and my calcium stayed the same (400). Why didn't the calcium go up? Should I put in a shot of just the calcium component? Is anyone else familiar with this solution?

My other water parameters are:

Temp 77.9, S.G. 1.025, PH 8.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, Phosphate 0, Mag 1230

you can use this

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

to determine how much to add.

I find that the number calculated is a lot more than the bottle instructions, but seems to be correct (i.e. you see the change, unlike following bottle directions which seems to not change the value).

you probably should not expect to see any change till after a few days (certainly more than 4 hours). Even the higher dosage based on the calculator advice not to add all at once.

If alk is fine, you can add the ca part only, or you can add kent turbo calcium powder, which is what I do.

you can use this

you can add the ca part only, or you can add kent turbo calcium powder, which is what I do.

Do you add the Kent Turbo Calcium to your make up water or directly into your DT?

thks

Thanks, I'll check the chemistry again tomorrow and dose accordingly (using just Calcium (part 2) or just Alkalinity (part 1). Thanks for the advice!

Do you add the Kent Turbo Calcium to your make up water or directly into your DT?

thks

I add it to my newly mixed water. But you can add it to DT. The calculator link can determine the amount of turbo calcium for you.

Even though it tangents a little. I prefer B-Ionic to maintain levels, but if I'm looking for an increase I add something that is more cost effective In this case, turbo calcium.

If you guys want something REALLY cost effective pick up the "complete package" from Bulkreefsupply.com.

That's what I use. The Ca portion is just Calcium Chloride. I picked up a 50lb bag of dry CaCl for $16. Considering it takes 2 cups to make 1 gallon I have a lifetime supply of calcium supplement.

If you guys want something REALLY cost effective pick up the "complete package" from Bulkreefsupply.com.

That's what I use. The Ca portion is just Calcium Chloride. I picked up a 50lb bag of dry CaCl for $16. Considering it takes 2 cups to make 1 gallon I have a lifetime supply of calcium supplement.

I think the main selling point of b-ionic and similar 2 part additives is they contain trace elements that pure calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate don't have. whether the trace elements help or not is another question. I would lean towards they do help.

Are you testing for those trace elements? It's been proven by reef Chemist Randy Holmes-Farley that those trace elements are not consumed at a rate greater than that provided by frequent water changes.

Are you testing for those trace elements? It's been proven by reef Chemist Randy Holmes-Farley that those trace elements are not consumed at a rate greater than that provided by frequent water changes.

no not really.

I do like the convenience of not mixing, and knowing everytime I open a new bottle that is is fresh (and not from something I bought 20 years ago). Its not like $12 per two bottles lasting a few months compared to $16 for lifetime supply is going to make anyone uber rich.

no not really.

I do like the convenience of not mixing, and knowing everytime I open a new bottle that is is fresh (and not from something I bought 20 years ago). Its not like $12 per two bottles lasting a few months compared to $16 for lifetime supply is going to make anyone uber rich.

Depends on the size of your tank and how much you dose... In my SPS 40B I refil my 1 gallon containers every 2-3 weeks. I spent $16 on a 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride and I'll never have to buy Calcium supplement again.

The alk portion you are spending $12 is just Baking Soda. I think that costs about $2.50 at the grocery store.

Archived