Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Sump - A Few Quick Questions

ubigbobby

So I've decided to use my 10G AGA as a sump/fuge for my new 30G tank. I'm not drilling the display tank, so I'm going to go with a HOB overflow box, which will run down to the sump/fuge.

My question is...do you have to match up the GPH rating of the overflow box with the return pump? Also, what would be a good GPH rating for the return pump for a 10G sump and 30G display tank?

I assume that if the GPH of the pump is lower than the overflow box, the box would simply run slower. Basically the pump and the overflow will reach an equilibrium right?

Also, where can I find the plastic grated egg crate material?

You can get eggcrate at Home Depot in the lighting dept.

I too am interested in the sump/pump question's answer. Do not have a sump, but plan to have one in my future larger tank! :D

Providing you get a pump that is equal to or less than the rating of the overflow box, you will have no issues. The siphon speed in the overflow will be relative to the pump you choose.

lakshwadeep
What's a sump?

A container that houses items such as wet/dry filters, skimmers, heaters, and refugiums. Sumps are generally kept below the display aquarium. Water drains into the sump from the aquarium above, and is pumped back to the aquarium.

The glossary (found under information at the top left of this page) is your friend.

Thanks, I have visited it often but was in a bit of a rush. I thought the great thing about nano tanks were the simplicity of the design and lack of additional equipment. Just need to learn to mod a few fans, figure out how to put a mj 900 in a 24g aquapod more securely, and read a few hundred threads.

lakshwadeep

Nano tanks can be simple. I currently have only a glass tank and just powerheads and a heater. I'm thinking of getting a skimmer, but that will be the main extra equipment.

Oh you can certainly do without a sump of skimmer if you keep up on water changes and such. I just happen to have a 10g from my last tank and figure why not turn it into a sump/fuge?

So I got some acryllic and divided up the tank as I like it. What would be a safe amount of water to put in to sump/fuge. It's a 10G sump under a 30G display tank. I figure 6G-7G would be safe and allow for a put of sump increase should the power fail.

honestly, if you're gonna do a sump, you're better off drilling a hole in the back of the tank. around that hole you can put an overflow box and that will prevent flooding in case of power loss. you're better off going with a 2"-ish hole, that way if you want to increase flow in your tank, all you have to do is upgrade the return pump to something with more flow. the overflow box will keep up with whatever pump you have, so long as the plumbing can accomdate it.

Archived