Top Shelf Aquatics

What I have. What should i do?

w1dude

I have a 12g tank with a AC110 and I am ordering a 96w coralife quad PC light for $45 and the bulb is about $35. Should i do that or should i get a 3month old 12g nano cube (deluxe canopy) for $100?

I am not sure what i should do

Its all about what you wanna do, if cash isn't an option I'd go ahead and go with the NC12 because you are already spending 80$ on the light for the other.

Its all about what you wanna do, if cash isn't an option I'd go ahead and go with the NC12 because you are already spending 80$ on the light for the other.

Cash isnt too big of a deal. I want something that is going to be really sweet in my dorm. It is my first reef tank. What am i going to be more happy with in the long run? The nc or just my diy because i will have a higher power light?

Well either way your going to end up with PowerCompacts, which is bottom tier lighting (still good though), I think you would be happier with the NC as your first tank since its more of an All-In-One.

I had that 96W light on my first reef... it's ok, nothing special, too white for my liking, not enough actinic. Are there no T5 options for this tank?

I had that 96W light on my first reef... it's ok, nothing special, too white for my liking, not enough actinic. Are there no T5 options for this tank?

ahhh not that i can find. everything is 24in or bigger :(

yeah, thats what I was thinking as well. I don't think they make 15" bulbs...

The 96W isn't a bad light, it is just a little white in color. Seperate bulbs may be a better route to get that blue actinic look you would be shooting for. You are going to be sticking with softies and lower light corals anyways, and in college it should look pretty unique in the dorm

yeah, thats what I was thinking as well. I don't think they make 15" bulbs...

The 96W isn't a bad light, it is just a little white in color. Seperate bulbs may be a better route to get that blue actinic look you would be shooting for. You are going to be sticking with softies and lower light corals anyways, and in college it should look pretty unique in the dorm

this t5 is 24in but it is suppose to fit. do you think itd be a better light than the 96w coralife?

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html

masterbuilder

I would get the nanocube, only because it has a closed top. Never know what can happen in a dorm room!

I might even mod it to have a pad lock on the lid.

I would get the nanocube, only because it has a closed top. Never know what can happen in a dorm room!

I might even mod it to have a pad lock on the lid.

you make a really good point! I am just worried about lighting power. AHHH sorry im a newb haha

I think a closed top would be better in a dorm, even tough people will still open the lid and feed the fish beer if they wish.... haha.

That light seems pretty cheap, but will look HUGE on a 12G tank.

The question really is, what kind of corals do you want to keep? PC lighting can keep softies and easier lower light corals, which is probably the better option in a dorm anyways. So the NC with the closed top and individual bulbs sounds like the best option for you right now.

I think a closed top would be better in a dorm, even tough people will still open the lid and feed the fish beer if they wish.... haha.

That light seems pretty cheap, but will look HUGE on a 12G tank.

The question really is, what kind of corals do you want to keep? PC lighting can keep softies and easier lower light corals, which is probably the better option in a dorm anyways. So the NC with the closed top and individual bulbs sounds like the best option for you right now.

i Think i am going to get the t5 ho light with 4 lamps so 96w. Then i could put my glass canopy over it. The guy i was going to buy the NC screwed me over.

so this light http://fishneedit.com/t5ho-2ft--4lamps-light.html

should i do the blue and white lamps or all white ?

btw im sure the beer will help the reefs a little! haha

What are you going to do during thanksgiving, spring break, and winter break? I'd go with the closed lid so that you don't have to come back as often to top-off the tank or refill the reservoir on an auto top-off.

What are you going to do during thanksgiving, spring break, and winter break? I'd go with the closed lid so that you don't have to come back as often to top-off the tank or refill the reservoir on an auto top-off.

well i think im just going to use a glass canopy on my 12g unless i cant do that?

i got screwed over on the bc12

Archived