inTank Media Baskets

Tunze 9002 Skimmer

PodRod

I just added a Tunze 9002 skimmer to my Solana and it's day three and I've yet to get any real skimming action. I have it installed on the water line and I've adjusted the screw. I get lots of bubbles but no foam. I have my tank stocked and was getting nice skimming action from the original skimmer so I'm not sure what's up. Any ideas?

I have adjusted the screw until I flooded the cup, then backed it down until foam just started to form in the lower portion of the cup. I finally got a little skimming action the next day right before feeding time. Once I fed, I got no skimming action for the next 5 hrs. I then adjusted the screw until it flooded the cup (again), backed it off (again) and got a little skimming right before the next day's feeding (again). What gives?

I've already checked the air hose inside the chamber and it's securely fastened. I'm just frustrated with this skimmer right now and I hope it start performing soon. I don't like my tank going to day 4 with no skimming...

there is a break in for most skimmers, the tunze was less for me, but it is tank dependent.

It does depend on your bioload as well, but let it break in for a week or more. Some skimmers take 2 weeks

Is the Tunze significantly quieter than the Solana skimmer? I am happy with the performance of the Solana skimmer, but am looking for something that is not as loud.

Thanks Steve - I'll give it a little more time. I've had 4 different skimmers in the past and never had a break in period like this before. Hopefully it will kick in soon.

91coupe - yes it is quieter although the noise never really bothered me. In fact, I was pleased with the performance of the original skimmer so I"m still trying to figure out why I even switched :huh:

The skimmer is working perfect now. It just had a very long break in period. I'm now happy with it's performance and impressed with the amount of junk being removed from the water column. Just thought I'd give an update in case others read this thread and were concerned with the initial operation.

ooooooohhpeter
Thanks Steve - I'll give it a little more time. I've had 4 different skimmers in the past and never had a break in period like this before. Hopefully it will kick in soon.

91coupe - yes it is quieter although the noise never really bothered me. In fact, I was pleased with the performance of the original skimmer so I"m still trying to figure out why I even switched :huh:

Wanna sell me your tunze??

Archived