Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30" Custom Sealife or 30" Aqualight Deluxe

eskimo21r

I am looking into buying one of these setups. Which one do you guys think would be the better value? I have a 20L tank w/ 25lbs of LR, 25lb sand and 3 lbs LS, 50w Heater, Maxi-jet 400 and Penguin 1140 PH, Penguin 125 HOB. I am actually into my 3rd week of the cycling process and Ammonia and Nitrites have gone down and my Nitrates are almost down to the level needed now.

I know I should have had my lights before now but.. got too excited when I finally got the money to start.

I am new to SW tanks and have been lurking on this board for quite a bit. I want to be able to have some corals, so I know lighting is important. Just wasn't sure if one was a little better than the other or if anyone had opinions on which company had a better product. I have seen quite a few Aqualight Deluxes on Ebay and no Custom Sealife for sale there..

Here is the link I was looking at for the: 30" Custom Sealife Hood

Here is the I was looking at for the:

30" Aqualight Deluxe

Thanks in advance

wow! i was just about to post the EXACT same question until i read your post.

I haven't set up my 20L yet, but i want to purchase the lighting soon so i can. I will have 20 pounds of LS, 25-30 pounds of LR (fiji and tonga branch)

The two lighting systems i was looking at are actually the same ones just different supliers

30" Custom sealife

and

30" Coralife aqualife

i was leaning more towards the Custom Sealife myself, but i would really like to know what the other (more experienced) boards members think, so somebody please help us newbies out :)

I have the smaller versions of each of the lights mentioned. I like the one more with the 2 x65 with teh moonlight. Being able to control the lights seperately and then having a moonlight is really nice. THe moonlight feature on it is nice to have. But all you want is power then go with the cheaper one.

Eddie

Well, I decided to go ahead and go with the Custom Sea Life Hood. I liked the idea of the 3 controls and also having the Mood lighting(er Moon Lighting). I ended up buying it from the link that I posted. I should recieve it in about 4-5 days and will let you know how it looks Chyendra. The initial price was the same at both places we were looking at it. I looked farther down in the lighting Forum and found a link where a few people have bought the 24" Model and they seem to be very happy w/ it and also had some pictures of it w/ the light on and it looks awesome.

If possible use the aqualight 36", with 2x96watt bulbs in it. I made a 36"x12"x12" tank just to accomidate one of these, but it could work on a 30" tank as well since the bulbs are really just 33"...could work...and then you will have much more light. Otherwise, IMO, 2x65watts in not alot for a 30" tank...more like 3x65watt.

BTW, I believe all the aqualight hoods have seperate controls for each light as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I added some moon lights to my aqualight for about $15. and they look awsome!

i'd go with the cheaper. but make sure you get the mounting legs for the aqualight or it won't fit.

• 2 weeks later...

To the guys that have their lights. Are 2*65w enough for this shallow of a tank to grow anything? (being that the tank is so shallow) I like the idea of having more light with the 36" version, however what i'm not liking the the amount of the fixture that would stick out past the edges of the tank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

what ever one you decide on , i would ask to see if you can get it with one 10k bulb and one actinic bulb, i wouldn't get the 50-50 bulbs. with the two differant bulbs you can turn on the blue first then the white to simulate sunrise and sunset better.

Archived