Cultivated Reef

Hawaiian nano need corals!

HawaiianNano

whoa dude! first of all its very Illegal to ship anything into hawaii. its also very expensive too. as i had a friend that wanted some of my cuttings and we checked shipping prices. its about 10.00 cheaper to ship from hawaii to the mainland then from mainland to hawaii(go figure) must be more inbound flights.

heres what i suggest you do. go snorkeling and collect what is legal over there(includes most critters and anemones whic they classify zoanthids as an anemone so they are legal to harvest. he had a neat little tank going from local stuff and there are some nice colored purple and pink zoo's there. if your fast too you can catch mantis shrimp and sell them to people in the mainland. seems there was always somone wanting them for a small tank.

good luck:)

HawaiianNano

thanks guys and that sucks!! Is it also ileagal to ship live rocks to hawaii? and where do i read up on the rule in hawaii? I never knew that there were rule in hawaii on fish tanks.

Man it sucks living in hawaii we got so much laws for any kind of stupid stuffs! first they say we cant go pick coral from the ocean now you cant ship it to hawaii??

the reason for that is they are afraid that new species that can harm the eco system over there will be introduced. there are some corals that can be collected legally. but you are not allowed to collect live rock so most people in hawaii just do fish only systems. there is a awesome selection of fish that are collected from your area that are much cheaper there than here.

just visit a few of the LFS and do some asking around. theres nothing wrong with collecting some base rock from the beach and then getting some macro algaes full of pods and critters wi th a little live sand and see if you end up with live rock and do a nice tank. theres ways to work around there laws, but they're there for the protection of the native species.

HawaiianNano

Thanks Aloha for the input. I have asked LFS and they told me to mail order the carols that I wanted. I some how got to order live kealini rock from a store in the states and luckly fed ex or agricutlure didnt check it I just was asked what was in the box and told them a big rock for my fish tank. I guess I got away with that one.

i know that i can get the fish amost any where but i really want to make a nano reef so badly.

Well i guess people think Hawaii is a great place to live but there are to much laws here! I mainly just wana keep the easy stuffs.

I have found rocks with zoes and poylps on them washed up on the shore line ready to be washed on to the sand and dryed up but there isnt much thats on the rocks.

Well i guess i better go to some research again to findout whati can get from the ocean or maybe pay a visit to the waikiki aquarium for some advise.

Archived