Pod Your Reef

Waste Produced by Firefish Gobies

ucsd reefer

I was thinking of putting in a pair of firefish into my AGA 7 minibow, but I'm strongly debating it due to a possible increase in nitrates. Does anybody know how much waste these guys produce? Can't be as much as a clown I'm thinking. All the clowns I've kept are pigs :P

-Mike

MrConclusion

I have 2 in a 10 gallon, and they're fine. They are planktonic feeders, so you should feed them little bits of food every day. They can't take 2 or 3 meals a week like some people like to do with clowns.

By the way, a point of interest is that Firefish are not "gobies", although they are sold as such all the time. Firefish, in their many color varieties, are members of the much smaller "wormfish" family.

Hey MrConclusion they look pretty neat in your reef. I know that they're supposed to be categorized as wormfish/dartfish but for some strange reason they're always listed under gobies. Perhaps people are just keeping to tradition as someone may have categorized them as gobies long ago. Anyhow, regarding the feeding of the firefish (I am one of the ppl that fed my clowns every other day), how much do you feed them per sitting?

-Mike

LFS just got in their shipment of fish for the week..no firefish :(....but they got some true perculas. I've always thought the true perculas were pretty cool. Since they're a bit smaller then the false and other clown varieties...do you guyz think that I could shoehorn two of them into my AGA7? I have around 13lbs of LR..no idea on the weight of sand though. The sand is about 1-1.5" deep.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Even though they're the smallest, perculas will grow to about 2-3" in length. I think just one would be pushing it, let alone two. Stick with the firefish pair. BTW, there is no known way to sex them. Best bet is to pick a pair that seem to get along at the LFS.

hey UCSDreefer, if you are in San Diego I saw 2 rare purple firefishes with a yellow tinge over the forward part of the body (instead of white) at aquaticwarehouse. I almost thought they were those really rare firefishes that cost an arm and a leg for only 29 dollars. Anyways just an FYI.

Sounds like Nemateleotris helfrichii, helfrich's firefish. They have a yellow face and a pinkish body. Considering they go for 100-250 retail, 29 would be a very, very low price. The reason they are so pricey is their natural depth range. They are much jumpier than the standard firefishes as well.

• 8 months later...

any idea on how to add a firefish to a 25 gallon tank with one already in it? tried it and the newcomer got beat up. will adding 2 at a time help at all?

which LFS are you going to in LJ? try heading over to Aquatics Warehouse. I was there 2 days ago and they had a tank w/about 10 of these guys...

edit: oops, didn't read teh above post about Aqu. Warehouse.

I think they are called gobies on a regular basis becuase that is how they were officially classified just 15-20 years ago and the name has stuck with them.

Archived