SaltCritters.com

R/O water the same as distilled?

Luis138

Hi,

I plan of eventually buying my own R/O filter but until then I must buy water from a store. The water my local supermarket carries is distilled.

Just to be safe, better safe than sorry, are R/O water and distilled the same thing?

Thank you,

Luis

They are not the same thing but they are both generally good to use in marine aquaria.

RO is made by forcing water through a semipermeable membrane and distilled is made by evaporation isolation.

RO take less energy to make but creates more waste water. The membranes eventually wear out and need to be replaced, which is why you should test all RO water (or all FW in general) with a TDS meter before using it.

They are not the same thing but they are both generally good to use in marine aquaria.

RO is made by forcing water through a semipermeable membrane and distilled is made by evaporation isolation.

RO take less energy to make but creates more waste water. The membranes eventually wear out and need to be replaced, which is why you should test all RO water (or all FW in general) with a TDS meter before using it.

Thank you again for your speedy response. So with distilled water I do not need to use chlorine remover, right?

Luis

Just FYI sometimes distilled water can have copper and other metals in it from the condensers used in the distillation process.

masterbuilder

I have used Wal-Mart distilled for over 2 years with out any problems. Every now and then I get some from the grocery store, but its much more expensive. Wal-Mat-$.65 Publix Grocery-$1.05 per gal

totalimmortal363

A lot of people here seem to use Wal-Mart Distilled or drinking water. The latter being R/O water while the other is, well, distilled as the name would suggest. I use Wal-Mart drinking water as the start-up cost of buying my own R/O system is not in the cards right now.

All those people who use Wal-Mart water are buying it because they didn't want to buy thier own RO/DI unit. My guess is these same people also aren't paying for a TDS meter and checking the water they get from Wal-Mart.

Let's face it people... this is an EXPENSIVE hobby. Don't skimp in the basics... The water you put in your tank is it's life blood.

All those people who use Wal-Mart water are buying it because they didn't want to buy thier own RO/DI unit. My guess is these same people also aren't paying for a TDS meter and checking the water they get from Wal-Mart.

Let's face it people... this is an EXPENSIVE hobby. Don't skimp in the basics... The water you put in your tank is it's life blood.

This is true, but we are talking about a nano reef site here. Many of the people on this site only need a few gallons of pure water a week.

Yes, you should get your own RO/DI system, ideally, but if you are running a 10 gallon nano and only need 2 gallons a week, it makes sense to just buy the water.

This is true, but we are talking about a nano reef site here. Many of the people on this site only need a few gallons of pure water a week.

Yes, you should get your own RO/DI system, ideally, but if you are running a 10 gallon nano and only need 2 gallons a week, it makes sense to just buy the water.

It may be a 10 gallon nano, but you've prolly got hundreds of dollars in coral in there. Why not spend $150 for unlimited RO/DI? Better safe than sorry right? I'm running a Coralife Pure Flo II which a lot of people bag on, but I've consistently got 0 TDS production water since I purchased the unit.

I will get a R/O unit in about a month. Are the ones in eBay any good?

Luis

I am also currently looking for an RO/DI unit, it will save me alot of money in the long run. Also no more hassle of driving to the store wasting GAS! which prob cost $100 of gas just to get to the store. (SOARING GAS PRICES...it will never get back under $4!)

So far from my gatherings people are saying for ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/Filter-Direct-store

is a good spot, im looking at the one without the drinking water(which i find i dont really need to drink out of that).

It may be a 10 gallon nano, but you've prolly got hundreds of dollars in coral in there. Why not spend $150 for unlimited RO/DI? Better safe than sorry right? I'm running a Coralife Pure Flo II which a lot of people bag on, but I've consistently got 0 TDS production water since I purchased the unit.

I am also looking at this on Drs Foster & Smith, good to hear its a good product. What bad things have you heard about this?

i heard walmart waters have stuff added like phosphates and stuff

dont know if its true but i started my tank on walmart distilled and RO

but now i have a phosphate issue with one of my tanks and using that water.

i never had any othe issues besides getting sick of buying so much at a time.

captianshellnutt
I'm running through ~1g per day in my new 20Hx10g system. Good thing I have a steady DI source.

Is the evaporation from the Sunpod causing you go go through 1 gallon a day in top off?

have. the 110gpd ro/ dual DI unit.... bought it used for $80 on here. Best $$ I have spent in this hobby other than a Refracto. also got a TDS meter. LFS who said theirs was zero (was getting my water from there) was 16ppm. tested another stores... WAY higher.

Love my unit, and considering between my 4 tanks I go through about 2-4 gpd in evap, its a HUGE savings

I am also currently looking for an RO/DI unit, it will save me alot of money in the long run. Also no more hassle of driving to the store wasting GAS! which prob cost $100 of gas just to get to the store. (SOARING GAS PRICES...it will never get back under $4!)

is a good spot, im looking at the one without the drinking water(which i find i dont really need to drink out of that).

I am also looking at this on Drs Foster & Smith, good to hear its a good product. What bad things have you heard about this?

Some people just call them junk cause they are inexpensive. Like I said... I've had ZERO problems with mine and it puts out good water.

Is the evaporation from the Sunpod causing you go go through 1 gallon a day in top off?

I think It's the fact that the MJ1200 and the Chinese magnetic ballasts for my NO refugium lights pump out heat and they are on 24/7. To compensate, I have a small (6" or 8") fan blowing across the surface of the water and that causes mad evap. I think I may do away with the fluorecent lights, which aren't putting out enough light anyway, and go with he standard 6700K HD lamp with reflector.

I am working on a fan temp control (see thread) but I haven't put in the time to mount the fans and the thermistor.

Archived