ReefCleaners.org

Porcelain Anemone Crab - Feeding Pict.

Vandur

Mane3215,

I am using a Nikon Coolpix 990 with a tripod or with it leaning up against the glass (I don't have a steady handy. ;) ).

If anyone out there has the same camera (or the 995), but can't seem to take a good picture of thier tank with it, let me know and I will send out a list of "settings" to use. This camera has a ton of options, and setting them all to get a good looking picture can be .. interesting .. but once set up it does tend to take some nice photographs.

~V

Deacon Hemp,

You are correct in assuming that the settings are for the manual mode (m on the dial) of the Nikon 990.

These are the settings I use the most often, the one where I saw the most improvement is the very last step though.

(1) If you are not already running at firmware v1.1, try to upgrade it. You don't have to, but it tends to store pictures MUCH faster. It also has a few other fixes and enhancements (especially with the white balance) that really make the camera even nicer then it already is.

NOTE: To find out the which version of firmware you use perform the following: Hold down the menu button and switch the camera to the dial to [a]. You need to do this while the camera is off. After a second or show you should see a little Nikon logo and something like: E990 V1.1 or V1.0.

Setting the manual options:

(1) Switch to manual mode (m on the dial) and select menu.

(2) Under Metering, select Spot.

(3) Under Continuous select "Single" (or which ever mode you perfer.

(4) I have turned "Off" or set to "Normal" the following functions:

Best Shot Selector: Turned Off

Lens: Normal

Image Sharpening: Off

(5) Ok, You are almost home free. Get in position to take a picture. When you find something you wnat to take a picture of (a mushroom, ricordea, etc), perform the following:

(a) Select Menu

(B) Select White Balance

© Select White Balance Preset

(d) Select Measure

Try to keep the camera pointed at/towards the object you want to take a photo of while you are doing this. This will cause the camera to adjust the built in white balance to one more suited to the photo you are about to take.

Once you have done that, line up the object in your zoom box (yeah I use the LCD a lot) and either snap the picture .. or if you don't have a steady hand (like me) use the timer to take the picture.

Hope that helps, post some picks so I can see what you end up with. ;)

~V

Archived