SaltCritters.com

Purigen Questions

new2reef

These may be dumb questions, but have never used mechanical or chemical filteration, just LR and LS.

1. Purigen directions; 1ml treats 1 gallon of water. I have a BC14, which is 10-12 gals. Can I use a 100ml bag, or is that too much? If too much, can you/do you remove extra or just buy 250ml jar? 10ml seems like not a lot, but don't want to overdo.

2. If I buy 250ml jar, do I have to buy the Seachem bag or will a standard mesh bag work? Purigen seem pretty fine, so want to ensure I buy the proper bag.

Why Purigen? Just to clear up water, esp that I now have fish I'm feeding, plus I added a Leather, so this is toxin insurance.

I'm by no means an expert here but your questions have been lingering for a bit so here goes. I've got a 39g setup and run Purigen as well as ChemiPure Elite.

1) I buy the 250 ml jar and put some it into a 100 micron bag. I tried a 200 micron bag at first but as you say, the stuff is small and I had some leakage out of the 200 micron bag. For my 39g I use about 100 ml, say 1/3 of the jar.

2) 100 micron bag is working for me. The standard mesh I purchased originally did leak so beware.

I will say I noticed a major improvement in water clarity after putting in the Purigen and I also do see it as a bit of toxic insurance. Not sure its needed but it came highly recommended by folks on the boards here and so I felt better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Nick's Reef

Just by the 100ml box that has it already in a bag and use the whole bag. It will last you about 6 months.

In my ap24 I run a bag of purigen, a bag of chemipure elite, and a bag of seagel.

I run a 100ml bag in my AC110 on my 10g. Basically to remove excess organics and any chemical warfare my Kenya Tree decides to unleash.

Thanks to all for answers. Let me summarize.

1. A 100 ml bag is fine for a 14 gallon. Having more than the recommended dose is not a problem.

2. Can't use just any bag, must be fine mesh (100m). Do not want to be removing spilled Purigen from the tiny BC14 chambers.

Will probably just order the 100ml bag and be done with it - no measuring or messing with bags. I prefer "dummy-proof" solutions when dealing with the nano reef, when one small slip can result in one BIG MESS! :o

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 3 finer mesh bags last week with the Purigen, then I noticed I had to rinse the Purigen with bleach, so I have not used it yet.

I bought 3 finer mesh bags last week with the Purigen, then I noticed I had to rinse the Purigen with bleach, so I have not used it yet.

Yeah, that's after you've used it. You can "re-new" it by rinsing it with bleach.

• 1 month later...

Archived