Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

If I turned my protein skimmer off...

HankB

Would it be measurable in water chemistry? Elevated nitrates or phosphates? pH out of whack? It seems unlikely to affect alk/calc.

Would I see it in health and vitality of sensitive inhabitants? Which would tend to be most sensitive? SPS corals? (Of which we have none at present.)

Algae growth or blooms?

CM claims that protein skimmers aren't really necessary with nanos. I believe that they are (universally?) used for larger reefs to reduce the need for frequent water changes. 15% of a 300 gal tank is a lot of water! At 34 gallons in our RSM I think we're in the middle ground. A 5 gallon change is about 15%.

Performance of the factory skimmer is questionable so I'm thinking about removing it and using the space for chaeto.

At present our bioload includes a purple firefish and a green chromis. The latest inclination from SWMBO is that she'd like a couple more green chromis so they can school. For corals we have:

- spaghetti leather

- yellow Fiji leather

- frogspawn

- palys and zoas

- acans

- green trumpet

- purple mushroom

- pulsating xenia (when it comes out of QT.)

By mass, we're heavy on softies and have a few LPS. We don't generally have the lighting for SPS, though we might give a monti cap a go near the top. It's more likely that we'll stay predominantly with softies and a few LPS.

thanks,

hank

(Wasn't sure if this should go into water chemistry or mechanical filtration...)

Would it be measurable in water chemistry? Elevated nitrates or phosphates? pH out of whack? It seems unlikely to affect alk/calc.

Maybe. Possibly. Probably not, but could happen. Almost certainly won't.

Would I see it in health and vitality of sensitive inhabitants? Which would tend to be most sensitive? SPS corals?

Possibly. SPS. Yes. Softies might actally prefer that you cease skimming. It has been widely reported by people on this site and I have seen IRL how hefty skimming can negatively impact soft corals like leathers, colts, kenyas, etc.

Algae growth or blooms?

Again, possible. The idea is that your skimmer removes dissolved, partially (or fully) hydrophobic compounds. This includes partially or undigested protiens, lipids or other uncharacterized dissolved organic or nitrogenous matter. Colored dissolved organic carbon (CDOM) is another thing that skimmers and ozonaters help to reduce. You may want to reduce things that color your water so you are able to have the maximum amount of light reach your corals.

Another consideration, especially with leathers, is that you may have so called "chemical warfare" going on in your system. Many corals release allelopathic compounds that irritate or retard the growth of other corals encroaching on them. This isn't always the case, but if your corals are within 6" of each other it is certainly a possibility. Many people have reported that skimming helps to reduce or remove such allelopaths from the water.

CM claims that protein skimmers aren't really necessary with nanos. I believe that they are (universally?) used for larger reefs to reduce the need for frequent water changes.

Not just to reduce the neec for waterchanges, but also to keep out organics that would otherwise make it difficult or impossible to keep SPS (which most large systems seem to house).

At present our bioload includes [fish and softies].

In your case, you might see an increase in growth and polyp/tentacle extension if you shut your skimmer off. The softies in your tank may actually be happier with the "dirtier" water.

EDIT: Technically, you could put it in either "Chem" or "Mechanical" because it is a bit of both.

Breakin Newz

What I do with my skimmer is have it on with my light schedule, when my light goes off my skimmer goes off.... So everything gets the best of both worlds!

Wow Fosi. You da man! B)

What I do with my skimmer is have it on with my light schedule, when my light goes off my skimmer goes off.... So everything gets the best of both worlds!

Except your pH; check it at night as well as during the day, if it fluctuates maybe try alternating them so when one is on the other is off.

Breakin Newz
Wow Fosi. You da man! B)

Except your pH; check it at night as well as during the day, if it fluctuates maybe try alternating them so when one is on the other is off.

pH is fine, I have aeration from my pump breaking the surface 24/7...

Wow Fosi. You da man! B)

Yup - isn't it great to have a reef aware scientist (microbiologist?) who has the patience and inclination to answer so many questions? :D

(The answer to that one is YES! ;) )

thanks,

hank

Archived