Pod Your Reef

What starfish are reef safe and will live well in captivity ?

jm82792

So I would like a starfish that won't eat coralline(asteria eat it thats what I saw one do),corals,fish and everything else in other words reef safe :D So what starfish can I have in a 24 gallon tank ?

I don't mind if I have to feed it or something like that,all I care is it isn't nocternal and is cool looking.

lakshwadeep

This is hard, but there are some species you should not get in a 24 gallon tank. These are mainly the sand sifters or Linckias. Your best bet are the brittle/serpent stars; and the easiest ones are the micro brittle stars. Micro brittle stars usually are nocturnal, but they will be out under any overhangs or shade. One type lives on the rocks and exposes only the legs into the water, while another type feeds on detritus and other things (mainly on the sand). Mine, and others, readily reproduce. You could get a larger brittle/serpent star; however, remember to avoid the green brittle star to keep small fish safe.

Hey JM never listen to a thing that Timantor says again. Better yet put this individual on ignore. As far as seastars are concerned I really don't have any experience with them. I do know what Timantor said is completely false information.

lakshwadeep

I have a few digitate hydroids and they don't seem to be hurting anything. They probably weren't brittle star legs if they were clear and looked like this (note the bell-shaped end):

Hitchhiker17.jpg

Here are some micro brittle stars in the rock:

_J8T0872.jpg

revaltion131
Relax it was a joke. Not sure if anyone even sells the Crown of Thorn anyways.

I think BlueZoo does, but right, you don't want to buy one.

Relax it was a joke. Not sure if anyone even sells the Crown of Thorn anyways.

yeah... i saw those things on discovery and they are freakin bad ass coral eaters. They look sick as hell too.

Alexraptor

Those kind of jokes are not advised imo.

Remember threads here are not just for helping the posted, but also for newbies to search on, giving bad advice even as a joke/sarcasm could have very unfortunate consequences if a newbie took them seriously.

CorvetteJoe

I just put in a big serpent star in my 12gal.

He's pretty cool looking but creeps the wife out with his lon snake like legs.

He doesn't bother any of my critters or corals (zoas, daisys, shrooms, etc) and my clown fish doesnt seems to sleep in the rocks anymore and from what I understand my sixline can create a mucus bubble around him when he sleeps that predators won't go near or can't detect he's there.

geekreef_05

The classic Starfish species are not recommended for nano reefs. Without 80+ lbs of LR they would not have enough food to sustain themselves in the long term. This inlcues Linkia's. Most starfish of this variety also get very large.. way to big for a nano.

What you can get are serpent starfish which have a pretty good track record in just about any tank. They are known to accept prepared foods as well; and they're good reef custodians.

Just a warning that if they are not well fed they sometimes might go after your small fish.

JerseyChick

I was curious about the same thing... what about the little red ones that look like normal starfish ( I am new... don't attack me or take advise from me)

I have a red star fish. I don't know the exact name of him, but he has been in my tank for about a month and doesnt bother a thing. Very cool to watch to. He is very active all day and all night.

chuckfullservice
I just put in a big serpent star in my 12gal.

He's pretty cool looking but creeps the wife out with his lon snake like legs.

He doesn't bother any of my critters or corals (zoas, daisys, shrooms, etc) and my clown fish doesnt seems to sleep in the rocks anymore and from what I understand my sixline can create a mucus bubble around him when he sleeps that predators won't go near or can't detect he's there.

big serpent star ina 12 gal ??? -_-

Asternia stars don't bother much but they are pretty small!

I was curious about the same thing... what about the little red ones that look like normal starfish ( I am new... don't attack me or take advise from me)

My husband bought one on an inpulse and the LFS didnt tell us how sensitive they are to salinity changes and it rotted from the guts out overnight :( They should be in a very well established tank.

I have a red star fish. I don't know the exact name of him, but he has been in my tank for about a month and doesnt bother a thing. Very cool to watch to. He is very active all day and all night.

its probably a red bali starfish (fromia).

read this thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54208

long story short, I think nobody had one survive long term. nice looking starfish though.

my lfs sells them for $12 each, and chocolate chip starfish for $8 each.

CorvetteJoe
I hear crown of thorn is the best for a reef tank.

:lol: :lol:

Like anyone is going to go out and buy one of these without a little research anyway...

I thought it was funny at least.... anyway...

I saw one of those on some show once (discovery channel perhaps?) and they caught it on film going for miles just destroying EVERYTHING in it's path.

They sped up the tape and it literally looked like a lawn mower just devastating anything in its path. They were larger than most small dogs (and would probably eat one too) and were just amazing to see how something so simple could do so much damage.

They then had people hunting them to control their population because of the widespread destruction they brought onto the great barrier reef system.

crown-of-thorns.jpg

chuckfullservice
:lol: :lol:

Like anyone is going to go out and buy one of these without a little research anyway...

I thought it was funny at least.... anyway...

I saw one of those on some show once (discovery channel perhaps?) and they caught it on film going for miles just destroying EVERYTHING in it's path.

They sped up the tape and it literally looked like a lawn mower just devastating anything in its path. They were larger than most small dogs (and would probably eat one too) and were just amazing to see how something so simple could do so much damage.

They then had people hunting them to control their population because of the widespread destruction they brought onto the great barrier reef system.

crown-of-thorns.jpg

Damm that thing looks scary !

:o

Those kind of jokes are not advised imo.

Remember threads here are not just for helping the posted, but also for newbies to search on, giving bad advice even as a joke/sarcasm could have very unfortunate consequences if a newbie took them seriously.

Considering Liveaquaria is selling apillow star, which is very destructive to corals, that is very good advice.

Archived