Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best brands for additives

Avalon_Princess

Avalon_Princess

So now I've finally gotten around to properly testing my tank I've found the salt i use has high calcium but low alkalinity like half of what it should be (60ppm, 1.2meg/L, 3.3 dKH) so I'm dosing with bicarb at the moment but is there a better liquid additive? or a good brand which isn't just repackaged bicarb to bring up the alk?

The only two part additive I ahve access to is the Kent Marine Nano A + B and would rather avoid that so could anyone recommend a good bran of additive for calcium and alkalinity? it doesn't have to be two part. I don't want to amke my own either my parents don't like me playing with chemistry anywhere but in the chem lab at school and mixing additives counts as chemistry to them.

HecticDialectics

When you get down to it, it's all the same.

Go to www.bulkreefsupply.com and learn to make Randy's 2-part recipe for Ca and Alk.

lakshwadeep

The reason these additives are two parts (like ESV's B-Ionic) is that they would precipitate (come out of solution) calcium carbonate and become useless. Calcium carbonate is what coral skeletons are made of, and it also is found in marble, limestone, aragonite, snail (and others) shells, eggshells, and calcium supplements. Explaining this to your parents should convince them that CaCO₃ is harmless.

BKtomodachi

If you have the means for slow addition, you could consider topping off with kalkwasser solution. It does a pretty good job of maintaining both alk and calcium, generally. Although most people do raise their levels with a two-part and maintain them with kalk.

Avalon_Princess

I'm an aussie so bulkreefsupply and ESV's B-Ionic are out.

LOl my dad's a chem engineer he knows exactly what I want to do, still says no though LOL, well i can do the alk and magnesium parts but not the calcium, strange father he is.

Are Kent, Reef Success and Seachem good additives? their the ones I have the most access to. I was thinking of getting the Seachem Reef Builder, the Reef Success Calcium +3 and the Kent marine essential elements, though the last one would be only used occasionally...

Are those okay brands to use? or do you have a better recommendation of brand that's available in Aus?

When you get down to it, it's all the same.

Go to www.bulkreefsupply.com and learn to make Randy's 2-part recipe for Ca and Alk.

+1

HecticDialectics
LOl my dad's a chem engineer he knows exactly what I want to do, still says no though LOL, well i can do the alk and magnesium parts but not the calcium, strange father he is.

Does he not let you or your mother cook either?

Chemistry is part of every day life whether he likes it or not :P

lakshwadeep
Does he not let you or your mother cook either?

Chemistry is part of every day life whether he likes it or not :P

I'm sure he would be horrified at the dangerous substances like Cadmium used in our hobby water test kits! Better not tell him...

Avalon_Princess

My parents are arguing and probably splitting up, everything sets him off so suggesting not letting me mix a calcium solution is silly isn't very intelligent at the mo.

I ended up picking up seachem calcium and alkalinity additives, as well as epsom salts and baking soda, though i won't be using the epsom salts till i can get my hands on a good Mg test kit

Archived