Top Shelf Aquatics

Live sand or crushed coral?

LadyClown

bump

the cc's ok but the LS provides a much greater surface area and conducive medium for microfauna. the cc tends to accumulate detritus (crappie) and work its way farther and farther down. this forces the aquarist to do more maintenance (i.e. vacuuming).

i also don't like the cc for its coarseness compared to sand for the fish. there are a number of previous threads on the topic and chock full of contentious posts. low/medium popcorn rating imo :P

now if you talk about dsb's, lighting, fish/gallon, salt brands; those topics :ninja2: are definitely 'bucket' popcorn level. :D

I was thinking about switching, but since my tanks is currently running, I didn't know if it was doable... what do you think?

???

Its very do able. I just did the change over my self about a month ago. You will like the sand alot better, no vacuuming!! Plus with the sand you'll start to see alot of little critters track marks they make through the sand against the glass. As for snails, they love to burrow into it. With the Crushed Coral you will be siponing them out and down the drain. How much of a benifit can that be as far as biological bacteria.

It is going to cloud up your tank when you do change over. So my suggestion would be to drain out as much water from the tank as possiable. Place your live rock and critters in a container heated and aireated with the tank water. Then begin dumping in the sand place your live rock back in and start filling the water back in. Its still gonna be cloudy for a while, but a good old fashioned filter in the hob for a while will do the trick. Now some people are going to say to leave the filter out, but do to my mistake of not putting in a filter when I did my change over, taught me different. What will happen is that your pretty live rock will become a major dust collector. This dust will smother out your algae and coralline. Thus helping those diatoms to bloom.

Sorry for the long post..Good Luck!!

Ok, so I bought 40lbs of playsand at Home Depot (hey, it was $2.50, I couldn't help myself)

i think I'll try and do the switch over on friday morning

Do you think I should microwave/boil the sand to sanitize it first or will it be ok?

Archived