Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ ATO and proper pump

aeg1229

I want to buy a JBJ ATO monitor and since it doesn't come with a pump, I am not sure which one to buy. Can someone recommend a reliable pump that works well with this unit? Thanks!

Depends on what you need. For a larger tank with a larger topoff need, perhaps a maxijet of some kind. For most nanos though I would guess just a simple and small airpump would suffice. I have seen some people use it to control a solenoid valve.

• 1 month later...

I use minijet 606. Sits flat on bottom of 5g bucket of top off water. The JBJ float sensor is pretty sensitive, so it only turns on for seconds at a time.

definitemaybe

I have a JBJ ATO as well and I use a AquaLifter but really about any powerhead or pump should be okay. The main key is to make sure the ATO tubing from the pump into the aquarium is ABOVE the waterline. You don't want your ATO to start a siphon from your tank. I'm sure it'd be a big mess.

Below is the pump I have (got 2 of em on separate aquariums). It can run dry for VERY long periods of time without any damage.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...ory~FIOFOA.html

The running dry is the main reason I like that pump although you can setup your JBJ ATO so it won't run a regular powerhead dry.

bonsaidarrell
I have a JBJ ATO as well and I use a AquaLifter but really about any powerhead or pump should be okay. The main key is to make sure the ATO tubing from the pump into the aquarium is ABOVE the waterline. You don't want your ATO to start a siphon from your tank. I'm sure it'd be a big mess.

I was wondering if it would make sense to use a check valve on the line. That way the pump won't have to fill the entire line up with water each time, as well as deal with the back-siphon problem. Do others use a check valve?

Below is the pump I have (got 2 of em on separate aquariums). It can run dry for VERY long periods of time without any damage.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...ory~FIOFOA.html

The running dry is the main reason I like that pump although you can setup your JBJ ATO so it won't run a regular powerhead dry.

That looks like a great pump for an ATO. Is it quiet? I've heard some folks having problems with the JBJ unit "timing out" if the tank isn't filled in some set period of time (I think as a safety measure to keep from over filling). At only 3.5 gph, have you had any problems with this pump?

Thanks,

Darrell

I was wondering if it would make sense to use a check valve on the line. That way the pump won't have to fill the entire line up with water each time, as well as deal with the back-siphon problem. Do others use a check valve?

That looks like a great pump for an ATO. Is it quiet? I've heard some folks having problems with the JBJ unit "timing out" if the tank isn't filled in some set period of time (I think as a safety measure to keep from over filling). At only 3.5 gph, have you had any problems with this pump?

Thanks,

Darrell

It will time out, I think it's default is 20 seconds (may be wrong), but I also believe it's adjustable somewhere under the cover. Mine comes on for about 10 seconds max as the float is sensitive, so very little fluxuation in water level. Only time mine times out is when the bucket is empty, as it is now...oops better go fill.

definitemaybe

Thanks,

Darrell

You could use a check valve but I prefer to have the hose above the sump's water line. It just can't siphon out like that and I don't have to think about a valve failing (however unlikely). The water actually stays in the line almost all the way to the tip.

I have no issues with the timeout unless I unplug the unit for like a week then plug it in. So unless you let it get pretty far off you shouldn't have an issue with that. The JBJ kicks it on enough that the timeout is never an issue for me. The pump is super quiet too. It's only noticeable if it's trying to drink water that isn't there.

I think you said you had a 29g tank. I have the JBJ 28g HQI AIO. If you tank is the same size you shouldn't have an issue. I choose the pump because it's cheap and works. Get a mini-jet 404 or 606 or a full power powerhead if you have any reservations about that pump though.

Dustin

Archived