Coral Vue Hydros

10g powerhead

sean-820

What would a good choice of powerhead be for a aga 10g tank.

The tank will house a mantis shrimp and variuos soft corals (mayby some hard) under 40w of t5 HO output (current usa 20" fixture).

Filter is an ac 30 (modded into a fuge with a 7w light).

I was thinking either a korilia nano k1 or an mj?

I have a k4 and i like it so i am strongly concidering a k1 or nano. Which one would be better for corals and the mantis?

Also what is the best way to grow coraline? Right now i am running a 15w actinic blue bulb in a floro fixture. I think i see a couple parts of coraline growth but it is just over powered by brown diatoms (only about 2 weeks into a cycle). Yes there is lr in the tank with coraline, but i am tryign to get it onto the base rock that makes up the mantis' hide. No inhabitanks other then a hichiker hermit two tube woms. Also is it safe to drill a 5.5 to mod it into a fuge?

I have basically the same setup you have only without the fuge.Ive tried the koralia 1 and it was a bit too strong for my liking, my ricordias did not like it.Currently i am using a Maxi Jet 900 and it seems to be perfect for the tank and all the corals seem to enjoy it.

Coraline algae just takes time to grow, it will eventually pop up on the rocks and then on your glass.The algae likes all flow levels and needs good calcium and strontium levels to continue growth.

So do soft corals like less flow then lps and sps'?

Do you have the same lighting? If so how do you like it? What can you keep well under it? I want to keep zoas and mushrooms mainly, however it would be nice to have other things just for variety.

Right now i am dosing twice a week for alkalinity and calcium. Calcium levels were at about 400ppm (right units?) Im starting to see more diotoms so does that mean the cycle is almost done? Im not sure b/c i did a tap water w/c a couple days earlier and i dont know how much phosphorous is in the water. I will be buying ro water for the mantis. It seems that the diatoms grow in the areas lit by the light. The light bulb is actinic. Should i cut its photoperiod back to reduce diatoms or just leave it at a normal photo period?

SaltWaterNewb

I have two Koralia Nanos in my 10g tank and it is just right. That is in addition to an AC70.

Archived