Cultivated Reef

Ph and cycling period is wack!

tdsounds

I have been cycling my 10 gallon nano with about 2inch thick southdown sand and about 12lbs of cured live fuji rock running with a mini jet 404 and 50 watt hagen heater. My ph always come down to about 7.8 after every two days. I have to use a ph upper to increase my ph. But I had to keep on using for the past 5 days. Should I go and buy a 8.3 ph reef buffer that maintains that level? I need to get my ph stable, any ideas? My tank has been cycling for about 9 days already. My parameters of ph 7.8 to 8.2. Amonnia is about 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate is 0ppm. It has stayed like this for the past 9 days. I could have sworn that I would see an increase in ammonia in like 3 days and then start to increase. Is my tank already cycled because i bought 12lbs of live rock from a local fish shop that is like 2 min away and that the bacteria has been established on the rock? Oh yea by the way I don't have any fish in it, just two little crabs one red legged and one blue legged.

well, your not cycling the rock as much as the filter. The filter is what needs to take the bio load of what you put inside the tank. This is the main reason why I don't do fishless cycling. After day 1, I already have a Damsel in my tank, if it dies get another one. I know this is not the most ethical way of cycling a tank, but it works. Its how all the tanks at school were cycled as well...its a common practice. Get some cheapy damsels...toss them in. Keep checking your water parameters, it will work out. I curious why you added the inverts first though. Kinda weird but ok I guess since they are still alive. I know this is a poor analogy, but think of it as breaking in your filtration system.

I recently had a little issue with my tank, I tore it down and after 24 hours I had a Damsel in there. Also get a product called Bacter Vital it will help with the cycling.

BTW... I put the Damsel in this Monday and today is Thursday and the Damsel is doing great!

I know this is not the most ethical way of cycling a tank, but it works. Its how all the tanks at school were cycled as well...its a common practice.
it may be common but it isn't the cheapest, easiest, or (as you said) most ethical method.

treehugging aside a tank cycles very well with just fresh LR. there's enough decaying organic matter to start the process. the nitrogenous bacteria is everywhere, it just needs to be concentrated/encouraged to colonize the LR/LS. (there's also the fauna/flora filtration aspect but that's another discussion)

the system may be cycled if the rock and everything is cycled already as the lfs says. you would've most likely only saw a slight blip of a cycle. fresh LR just offers better bio-diversity and more stable systems in the longrun imo.

the low pH could be a result of the organics decaying.

or if the coralline is kicking in it could point to a depleted Mg level, which pulls along ca/alk.

i would continue to wc and if you want zap it with the reef buffer too to stabilize the pH. proper pH from AP is good too. hth

Thanks for all the help. Do you think it is safe to add two percula clowns in about a week if the conditions stay the same? Also, what is the difference between false and true perculas anyhow. I just thought they were different b/c of number to fin or something. My lfs tells me that true percs cost more :|

clowns are pretty hardy...I don't see why not. Its still taking a chance after a week depending on all the stuff you did before the end of the week to cycle the tank.

Damsels are only 3 bucks...Clowns are usually like 15 so its a chance but after one week the clown should be able to hold up.

If you want something swimming in there just get a Damsel (after you cycle it if you don't want to cycle it with it in there)

then if the Damsel is making it the clown should be ok as well.

Cycling is something that you can ask 15 people and you can get 15 different answers for the way they do it. There really is no 1 way...there are *preferred* methods...but those typically take more time

HTH man...

tdsounds,

I have/had a very similar situation. I got 18 lbs of LR, and started a new tank with it. I did not get an ammonia spike for a week, and then it hit. 2 weeks later and my tank is cycled, but my pH fluctuated the whole time. Have you done a water change yet? My pH was low, about 7.9 the entire cycle. I did a 30% water change and it has been cool at about 8.3 for a week. You will probably get a mini-cycle after adding 2 clowns, but if that is all you are adding, ahhh..

I don't know what rock JLTRUK is smoking, because you didn't mention any type of filter. If the low pH is a result of organics dying, what is going to happen after adding 2-3 more fish suddenly? You have live rock and that should be your only "filter" containing the beneficial bacteria in a 10g. You can throw a damsel in there but with 10g you might not be too happy with it a month from now. 3 fish (damsel + 2 clowns) and you most likely will wind up with sick or dead or combative fish in the near future.

Check your alkalinity and calcium, that might be an issue

(my calcium drops 50ppm every couple days)

Also in response to JLTRUK, you can rush your cycling and have more errors to figure out and waste money and kill fish. Wouldn't another week or two of waiting and testing be easier?

Just my opinion, glad you are asking advice....

newbiefishgirl

The diffrence between false and true perc clowns is that the false are tank raised and bread. They are a more hardy fish. The true percs are captured... more sensitive. I would, in your sistuation, choose the false perc clown.

Hope this helps :)

well I am known to smoke crack in the morning

anyway...the filter I thought I read...now that I read his comment over again I see he did not list one...I saw Hagen...and just kept reading and thats his heater...LOL

whatever man, cycle it the way you want to. the end result no matter how you slice it or dice it is a cycled tank.

good luck bro

Archived