ReefCleaners.org

new RO/DI setup

sur4die

i purchased this RO/DI filter from ebay

ebay RO/DI system

the DI filter cartridge (clear with blue end caps) has an arrow on it, but the arrow faces the wrong direction. it doesn't seem as though the DI filter really has a direction though since the 2 end caps are identical (from the exterior at least).

so do DI filters have a direction? it just looks like a sponge in a tube to me.

i purchased this RO/DI filter from ebay

ebay RO/DI system

the DI filter cartridge (clear with blue end caps) has an arrow on it, but the arrow faces the wrong direction. it doesn't seem as though the DI filter really has a direction though since the 2 end caps are identical (from the exterior at least).

so do DI filters have a direction? it just looks like a sponge in a tube to me.

It's resin beads in a tube. I don't know that they have a direction, but it mighty be that there is a screen on the outlet side to keep the resin beads in there. Or there are screens in both ends and it doesn't matter.

Have you tried contacting the seller to confirm?

I have heard carbon after the DI can actually add TDS. The Water General I have includes a carbon filer, but it is on a separate tap and filters RO water for drinking. The DI outlet is the last stage for RO/DI water.

I have also been advised to orient the DI cartridge vertically for better performance but haven't bothered as output TDS remains zero.

HTH,

hank

HecticDialectics

carbon after di is for drinking water. it adds taste. For reefs, you want the water right after the DI

thanks for the advice. contacting the seller would probably be my best bet.

i'll take that carbon cartridge out of the fish tank path.

just switch the cartridge around so that the sponge is the last thing that the water has to go through, problem solved.

BuckeyeFieldSupply

Yes - remove the GAC cartridge after the DI.

Orient the DI resin cartridge vertically with bottom up flow.

When you go to replace your prefilters toss out the GAC stage - standard GAC has no place in the high capacity system we use in this hobby (that is a retrofitted drinking water system you bought).

At some point you will want to add a pressure guage to the system.

How is your tds?

Russ @ BFS

Archived