Innovative Marine Aquariums

powerhead vs. filter

Fishboy20

instead of putting an aquaclear mini on my 2.5, could i get the same results with a powerhead and airstone? i was wondering since you dont put media in the mini filter, if theres any purpose to it other than flow/airation. is it the extra water volume? i always have the mini available, so if i needed to filter it with media every now and then i could still do that, but i would prefer using a powerhead with an air dispenser thing on it, as long as it doesnt compromise anything.

I've read using airstones are not good because the bubbles can irritate your corals.

You can get away with just using your power head, just point the nozzle towards the surface a tad to break the water surface tension and to help with oxygen exchange.

ELGORDOINAVW

no man you don't want bubbles in your tank. use the mini it circulate, adds water volume, you could from time to time run carbon in there.

ok am I getting this right? I have a 10 gal. with about 10-12 lbs of LR and 10Lbs of LS. I've been running a HOB filter, some little cheap thing I got at wal-mart. I don't use the charcole filters for it because they never seemed to help anyway but it seems like someone told me to put polyfil in it for the good bacteria to grow on. (kinda like the bio balls?) I really don't like that because it does restrict the water flow somewhat but, there is "stuff" on it grey gunk.

My tank seems pretty happy. (going on 4 years) I also have a powerhead moving water around. So can I just run the HOB filter without anything in it? Or is it best to leave it like it is?

Archived