Coral Vue Hydros

New fluval305 canister filter, Do I still need my HOB?

CaptainJack

CaptainJack

OK this might be a dumb Question but I figured I would ask it anyways just to be sure. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that I just set up a fluval 305 canister filter system on and was wondering if I still need to run the HOB dual filter system that came with the tank when I bought it. The only reason I would see to leave the HOB filter is so it creates movement on the surface of the water so it doesn't get any kind of white film on the surface. SHould I get rid of the HOB and get a power head to move the water on the surface or just leave the HOB? Or can I just get rid of the HOB and just use the FLuval 305 by it self and nothing else?

Oh and this is my first post on the forum here so I wanted to say Hello to everyone. I have been lurking alot lately because I want to learn how to set up a nano reef as my next adventure in the tank world. So hopefully I will get the nano tank going soon.

Thanks,

Captain Jack (Mike)

Whatever you find suitable. I don't really think it would matter. You could keep the HOB around for surface agitation or if you don't like how they just get rid of them.

CaptainJack

Ok because I was just worried about oxygenation. With the HOB filter system I know it puts oxygen in the water when the water hits the surface. Now does the Fluval canister filter system oxygenate the water like the HOB? I was thinking about getting rid of the HOB and putting in a power head..

non-photosynt

You can use Fluval to create water movement on the surface, if you make the output directed to the surface, along the tank.

Will be Fluval sufficient? Depends on the tank: I had Fluval 404 on 90 g tank with high bioload and heavy feeding. I had to open and clean canister every third day, what was very bothersome. You will see, will yours become dirty soon or not.

HoOB filters allow easier access for controlling how dirty the filter floss become, and faster change it. I also used it solely for water movement, it doesn't take place in the tank, that could be used for corals.

Take your time, watch what is going inside canister, and make you decision later :)

Archived