Cultivated Reef

Chemi-pure and Purgien Placement?

magaman

I just started running both chemi-pure elite and Purgien in my BC29 as per quite a few recommendations. It was suggested to put the chemi-pure in chamber 3 replacing the sponge and purgien in chamber 1. I did that but was getting afraid the chemi-pure bag would get sucked into the pump, so I have it in chamber 2. Now there is one hitch, I have the biocube skimmer and it doesn't fit with either chemi or purgien in the first chamber, and to top it off by placing one of them in the second raises the water level in chamber 1 and 2. My thought was to put both in chamber 1 allowing the water level to drop a bit in 2.

So I guess my question is, is it ok to have both bags on-top of each other in chamber 1??

non-photosynt

Sorry, I don't have BioCube, only Nano-Cubes, but I used Purigen.

IMHO, it should be placed anywhere in a good flow, but after mechanical prefiltration. Otherwise the fine bag, holding it, become clogged very fast.

You possibly can make a plastic grid holder for a Purigen bag, for placement above pump without worrying about it. It was done for Nano Cubes.

Either from eggcrate, but I don't like sharp edges, either from dollar store plastic baskets 3 for $1). They could be cut to fit the place, holding by friction onto the walls, or make it double bottom mesh with bag on top of it, and place onto the pump. For removing could be used long zip-ties. I had seen an illustrated post somewhere here, at NanoReef, but don't have a link.

Sorry, I don't have BioCube, only Nano-Cubes, but I used Purigen.

IMHO, it should be placed anywhere in a good flow, but after mechanical prefiltration. Otherwise the fine bag, holding it, become clogged very fast.

You possibly can make a plastic grid holder for a Purigen bag, for placement above pump without worrying about it. It was done for Nano Cubes.

Either from eggcrate, but I don't like sharp edges, either from dollar store plastic baskets 3 for $1). They could be cut to fit the place, holding by friction onto the walls, or make it double bottom mesh with bag on top of it, and place onto the pump. For removing could be used long zip-ties. I had seen an illustrated post somewhere here, at NanoReef, but don't have a link.

That is a good idea I can actually make like a mess wall between the pump and bag and that will ease my worry. I've read threads where people got small tears from the pump in the bag and then spent hours pulling the little beads out of the tank.

Archived