ReefCleaners.org

Requesting Ideas and Wisdom =D

DeepSeaExplorer

DeepSeaExplorer

Ok to start with all i have ever known is Freshwater Aquariums, im a studen of Marien Biology which after reading the boards alot has come to mean nothing ;) .. anyway here it goes.. i have an Elcipse 6 i am thinking of turning into a saltwater Reef. i know ill need to change the light out, i can use the current filter (without filter medium) and i already have a tested tank heater that keeps my tank at 80 steady if i need it to (my room stays very cold). i know ill need a PH and im looking at LR and LS to start with prolbly about 7-9 lb of LR and 10 lbs of LS to start with. After Cycling which could take up to a month (probly about 2 weeks from what i have read) i can start adding critters and such. anyway i am scheduled with my Professor to go out on a 2 week research cruise in october to help do population studys of 4000+ meters of the critters out there.. i dont think i can leave my tank that long without changing out the water could i.. i would probly have to have a room mate do it for me right? would i be better off to just wait till after october to start.. what bout the tank itself.. its acrylic and i know it scraches easily so do i need to invest in a different tank. im a college student so space is a problem, suggestions.. comments.. ideas.. please let me know somthing :)

Rob

I cycled my LR and LS for many weeks without a water change.

I think the water change is not a problem. But you might want to get your roommate to help you topoff your water.

You might want to get a timer to turn your lights on and off.

going to see the oracle

i have a 6 g nano i am starting up too! as long as you do not put in alot of stuff before you leave you should be okay w/o the water change, just make sure to do ~ 3 10% water changes the week before you leave. try to get the tank to cycle before you go with bacteria starters and such. as for lighting goes a man on ebay is selling 70watt metal halide ballasts pretty cheap coul probably get all 70 watt metal halide double ended setup for under $150. i personally found that the filter on the 6 just got in the way of the light and it is just easier to put a hang on the back filter or powerheads. look up aquaclear refugiums for some good ideas on natural algae filtering. anyways sorry to ramble on.

good luck!

Reed

LR and LS by definition is alive with bacteria, so you don't have to seed it with bacteria. The bacteria population should adjust itself to the nutrient levels in the water. This is part of the cycling process. I think it is good to let your tank take its time reaching biological equilibrium.

MH might be too hot. I heard people saying its too hot for an eclipse 12.

Search around here to see what people use for their eclipse 6 lighting.

newbiefishgirl

I cycled my 10 gal with 11 lbs LR and 3 bads of reg sand.

I never once changed the water... in fact I didn't start water changes until I added life to my set up.

I have no thad any problems

Archived