Pod Your Reef

Could you recomend a good canister filter system?

chuckfullservice

chuckfullservice

My uncle gave me the tank about 3 weeks ago . Its is till cycling and will be for a while since I still have .50 ppm of amonia . SO since I have time to kill I figured I should upgrade the current filtration since what I have now is an emperor 380 hang on back ! .

I would like to get a cansiter that can not only turn over more water but also be alittle quieter ! Any suggestions?

chuckfullservice

Well I would say bump but I'm not one of those guys.

So I will say so far after minimal research I am leaning towards the fluval 305.

I was wondering if all or most canister filters come with the necessary items to properly plumb themsevles?

Thanks !

thegrandpoohbah

I'd recommend an Eheim or Rena over a Fluval any day. They are just more user friendly and perform better.

When I bought an Eheim for my FW 55 I do not recall Rena being an option. I bought it locally because that was before there were a lot of shopping options on the Internet (that I recall, anyway.) It is absolutely quiet and has run continuously (except for servicing) since then.

HTH,

hank

chuckfullservice

Is the Eheim brand worth the extra money? I also saw a jbj Reaction 4- stage canister filter model efu45

which comes with a built in UV sterilizer . Kind of nifty to put those kind of things in there ! We should come up with one that has all essential things built in , i.e. sterilizer , heater and skimmer . Good idea no?

chuckfullservice

My search is down to these 3

#1. Eheim 2217 cost $149.00 gph 264

#2. Fluval 405 cost $199.00 gph 350

#3. Rena xp3 cost $140.00 gph 350

Is the Eheim brand worth the extra money?
Hard for me to say. The Eheim has held up very well and been very quiet. I'm happy. I haven't owned a Fluval or Rena.

I also saw a jbj Reaction 4- stage canister filter model efu45

which comes with a built in UV sterilizer . Kind of nifty to put those kind of things in there ! We should come up with one that has all essential things built in , i.e. sterilizer , heater and skimmer . Good idea no?

Define essential. IMO There are too many different ways of doing this to make a one-size-fits-all work. A better solution would be a modular approach that lets you assemble the components you need. But that leaves less room to optimize (performance or price) over individual components. Also, I'm not sure a skimmer will work in a closed loop cannister filter.

-hank

What about the media? Isn't a canister filter only as good as it's media? I like to use Chemipure, carbon, Live rock As bio media, sometimes sponge.

MrJohnBlack
What about the media? Isn't a canister filter only as good as it's media? I like to use Chemipure, carbon, Live rock As bio media, sometimes sponge.

I have a 405 on my 28 gal. You can put any media you want in the stackable baskets. I run Chemipure Elt, filter floss, 1 bag extra carbon, and one nitrate phos remover bag. Very easy to use. Even comes with a silly DVD on how to set it up. Only problem I had was pumping enough water in to start it the first time. I gave up ended up pouring fresh saltwater to the top of the filter, putting the top on and then plugging it in. Started right up. Screw that little primer thingi. If the power goes out and comes back on it starts right up again. Very quite. I cannot hear it over the air pump for my stock skimmer. Hope this helps

chuckfullservice
Hard for me to say. The Eheim has held up very well and been very quiet. I'm happy. I haven't owned a Fluval or Rena.

Define essential. IMO There are too many different ways of doing this to make a one-size-fits-all work. A better solution would be a modular approach that lets you assemble the components you need. But that leaves less room to optimize (performance or price) over individual components. Also, I'm not sure a skimmer will work in a closed loop cannister filter.

-hank

Good point , your right how would you empty the scum cup quickly if its housed inside the canister.

MrJohnBlack
Do you think a 405 is enough for a 55 gal?

I'd say depends on what you plan to put in the tank. I would plan on getting at least one other powerhead, and maybe a cheap wave timer. The 405 keeps the water really clean. you can clean off all your rocks and kick up some sand, the 405 will have the water polished in no time. Every once in awhile you will hear a small "pshh" sound. Thats just the system clearing air bubbles out. The 405 comes with a output jet, but you might want to get one of those bars and could spread the output along the surface of your tank to get the water moving.

If your going to setup the 405 on one side of your tank id say get a korilla 1 or 2 for the other side so you get some good wave action.

I would also keep the emperor 380 and turn it into a mini fuge if possible.

I think I'd phrase that as no better than the media. Other factors like reliability, quiet running, features like valves on the hoses, availability of replacement parts also matter and have nothing to do with media.

-hank

Archived