SaltCritters.com

My new nano ... early days yet

purplek

Hi all

I've been planning a 300 litre (80 gal. U.S.) reef tank for several months on and off but due to lack of time (and DIY skills!) that project is just a pile of pipes and pumps at the moment!

I found this site a couple of weeks ago and really fancied the idea of a nano-reef to be going on with. So last weekend I cleaned out an old 30 litre (8 gal. U.S.) tank and got a couple of tiny powerheads.

Here's the live rock in place...

That light fitting, by the way, is a sign light with 4 x 9W CF tubes, 3 x 4000K and 1 x 12000K.

I'm planning to build a lighting / cooling hood this weekend with 3 x 24W CFs and some old PC fans. I'll post some more pictures when that's done.

I love the clean look of no trim tanks. No sure why most of our manufactures have to use all their standard models. I'm assuming it is not a custom built tank. Looks great so far

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder Elgor! I have been busy - here are some pictures of the progress..

Two weeks ago, I added a cleaner shrimp and two young tank raised false percs.

The shrimp came in the post and the package was delayed a day. After 60 odd hours in a plastic bag he was fine but very hungry!

I picked up the clowns from the LFS and so far they're doing really well - keen to feed and very active.

The lighting hood has proved to be quite a project! I realised that I could squeeze in four 24W tubes if I made the hood a bit deeper than the tank so the wiring and cooling intake fans overhang the back of the tank.

I've installed individual power inlets for each tube, so I can experiment with dawn / dusk effects. There is also a DC inlet for the cooling fans. I have used four 80mm fans (two inlets blowing across the tubes and ballasts and two exhausts through the top).

The hood is complete now except for a cover and should be on the tank in a day or two.

If any other DIY types in the UK are interested I got the wiring and lighting components as well as aluminium sheet and stainless steel screws from RS components (www.rswww.com). Total cost around £80.00 incl VAT.

I'll fit 4 x 24W ASL CF tubes from www.aquatics-online.co.uk (probably the 50 / 50 daylight / actinics). These cost £7.50 each.

Hey Tufty - small world!

I don't have and frags to swap (yet) :(

I just put in my first coral - an open brain. If you have any SPS frags to sell I'd be interested though...

Are there any decent marine shops near Newport / Usk?

John

Yes give me a ring sometime 07890638626.

I have pulsing xenia frags for sale.

There are no good shops around newport lol.

I usually go to taunton aquarium center becuse it has loads of sps.

where did you get your brain from????? maindenhead in cardiff?

ant

Archived