ReefCleaners.org

looking for feedback on "tube connected" tanks

jkarp

Hi all,

i'm looking at buying a 60 gallon "tube connected" tank, meaning it's basically two side by side 30 gallon tanks connected by 2 tubes (one on top and one on bottom). has anyone had experience with this type of tank? what are the pros and cons compared to a "normal" 60 gallon tank? what should i take into consideration when comparing this to a single 60+ gallon tank?

thanks in advance for any input... josh

I wanted a tank like that a while back my idea was a little different... 75 Gallon for big fish, tubed into a 20H that was meshed for nano fish. Too much money and it would have looked ugly without the proper case... The idea is cool, but its boring.

my thought would be to put it on a black stand, possibly with an acrylic strip on bottom, and leave the top open with a 48" MH light on top. someone makes a stand specific for this tank, but i don't really like the way it looks.

...josh

Make a custom stand... What I was planning on doing was building a front wall for the 2 connected tanks, hiding the tubes connecting them, so it just looks like a 75 and a 20 in the same stand...

Hard to clean tubes, multiple points for leaks to occur/develop. What happens if you accidentally drop something moderately heavy on one of the tubes?

Just seems like an increase in points of possible failure.

GrandpaFeathers

I llike the loof. I saw a bigture of some rich guys house, and he had a tank or two in every room, all connected by rectangular "tubes" and they were clear, and fairly large. They followed along the ceiling, supported by wires.

chuckfullservice

Sounds like its possible. Just think of it like a fuge only right next to the display and its the same size of the display! ;)

The only problem I see is if you ever had to move it the tubes would not be structually sound !

I think it would be cooler to extend the tubes Like have one tank on the left side of your couch and the other tank on the right , fish would be swimming in tubes behind your head ! Like a hamster cage!

Archived