ReefCleaners.org

Pictures of a compact separate filtration unit? Not canister.

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

Pictures of a compact separate filtration unit? Not a canister filter, I mean.

Something like a much cheaper and compact, suitable for nanos, version of Marine Filtration System (you can see them through a Google image search).

Mechanical prefiltration with easy access for changing it daily, skimmer, biomedia, denitrifier, phosphate remover, carbon section, and so on. Even with refugium section, if the all other part is protected from the light.

Placing all of them freely in the sump takes too much space, I'm thinking about more compact specialized unit. Pictures of links will be appreciated.

Well I just got a Tom's Aquatic Rapids mini canister filter and it's SMALL and very reasonably priced too (I got it on sale for $20 from Dr Foster Smith) but it is a canister, so you probably wouldn't be interested in that. Otherwise I'd say your next best bet is an AquaClear HOB filter unit that can be converted into a fuge... I'm not sure if that helps you out though or if that's something you had in mind... =/

non-photosynt

Yes, I have the Tom Rapids mini-canister filter too, and really like it. I'm using it for holding biomedia, after mechanical filtration. Have large and small AquaFuge type too, again, one is used as a flattened sump, for holding heater, biomedia, chemical media and return pump.

I have heavily fed tanks, just live rock and reasonably sized refugium is not enough. Would like to make a separate compact filtration/skimming unit. With more compact placement of the parts than the usual sump, but not easily cleanable (daily micron sock change). I have also Fluval 404, relatively big canister filter, but it is unreasonable to disconnect and open it each day. Smaller Tidepool-like wet-dry filter also is not what I'm looking for, it's more for oxygenated flow through biomedia, than for denitrification, and disassembling it for daily cleaning is a problem.

What I had in mind:

1. During searching web for solutions, I had seen on EBay the DIY Aquafuge-like unit, where one section was filled by deniftification media, another - by biomedia or chemical media. With just flow over them, no tumbling in the flow or separate reactors and powerheads for them.

2. More advanced, large and expensive version is what was found under Marine Filtration Systems, like Aqua Medic Reef Filter. This is out of means and too big.

While I have no place to work with acrylic, ready made components can be used.

I thought, that maybe someone is uses the something like this for nanos.

non-photosynt

Sorry for late reply, email notification didn't reach me.

We are thinking along the same lines: I already am using this.

Have also a large unit with protein skimmer, but it doesn't clean water enough, had to disconnect.

I'm trying now to assemble the portable marine filtration unit, that can be used for any tank (I'm changing tanks time from time, moving the content in more suitable surroundings). Something like Aqua Medic Reef 2000, only assembled from skimmers, that I already have, and rubbermaid plastic containers. If I had possibility to work with acrylic - apart from buying the ready made unit or ordering the custom one - it would be much better.

Now having headache with reducing number of pumps and using the gravity flow between chambers instead.

Also connecting refugium, and fitting this in a small, but serviceable space.

Archived