SaltCritters.com

Ebo Jager Heaters

moorediddy

Ok, so after reading that Ebo Jager's are "completely submersible"... I go and buy one, planning on sticking it in my fuge.

But, once I get it, there's a water line on the top that reads "do not immerse beyond this line." Is it just the 50w that's not completely submersible? Or why is it advertised as such....

Also, I set the dial to 80, turned it on and left for work. I get home and it's still running, and my tank is at 84.... grrrrreeat job Ebo Jager.

-moore

I have one Ebo-Jager in my 10g and another one in my SW mix tub which runs all the time. Both are set and forget as far as mine go. The one in my 10g sits just high enough out of the water so I could adjust the temp if need be. The one in the pre-mix is completely submersed in the bottom of the tub 24/7 for the last 5 months. Both are set identically to 78 degrees and both thermometers read identically at 78 degrees. I like'em.

Wouldn't have anything else! ;)

Really? Are you using the 50w? Because mine says specifically not to submerge it more than the water line, and it wouldn't shut off at the right temp. Any ideas?

-moore

Don't worry about it, the EBO is completely submersible. You can call them and ask them if you don't believe us :

It's just some legal thing to do with the UL listing and Canada =p

Most of the dials and thermostats on the heaters won't be correct. Mine is set at 77 and it heats it to 82.

Another one is set at 80 and heats it to 82 =]

So you have to figure out what to set it at...

There crazy like that.

Maybe one day, someone will build a good heater =o

Hah, it's not that I don't believe you guys... in fact, that's why I bought the thing, because I'd seen so many setups with them fully submerged. I was just wondering if mine was a new model, or perhaps if the 50w model was not able to be fully submerged.

I was also wondering if perhaps the 'water line' was just a technicality, that had to be placed on there.

Interesting that the dials are off... guess I'll just have to manually set mine. Although, I just tried turning it down to 76 and it stayed on (water temp 84), so maybe I'll have to go a little lower than that if it's just off. Thanks.

-moore

I think what they are trying to say is "don't let it stick out further than this line." ie it will overheat if you do that.

I've seen it being asked at other forums too. That's someone's guess at the 6 million dollar question.

BTW, where did you buy it and how much did it cost?

Bought it at Marine Depot for 14.49...

The wording above the line reads "Do Not Immerse Beyond Water Level"... I don't see how that can mean "Keep immersed above this line." I'm not saying you're off your rocker, but rather that the manufacturers probably are. But it sounds like the EVERYONE has theirs submerged, sooo.. mine's going under.

-moore

Ebo-Jager is a German company...so who knows..maybe something gets lost in the translation.... Ahh well..I've got a 250 on my 29 (always believe in going oversized..lol) and its set at 78 and maintains the water as such when the lights are off (when the lights are on..they do a good enough job of heating the water to the 80-81 degree range and the heater stays off). Anyway..I wouldn't worry about submerging it...

HTH...

Just a little trade secret to let you guys know about the newer model Jagers. The when you pull up the little blue button on top, you can calibrate the heater. Not too many people know this, but a very reputable store owner to me this. So for you with the misreading heaters, you can fix it! Maybe someone was messing with the button or it popped up when shipping, who knows... But now you know what to do.;)

-Tam

That exactly I dont know, I guess you could fiddle with it and find out, but mine are fine so I've never had to recalibrate. The owner of the store said that in Germany, a place he visits many times a year, they include instructions on how to recalibrate, but I guess they dont was us messin with the heaters and screwin them up.

G'luck,

Tam

AchillesHeel

Well, it isnt just the 50w, my 150w ebo heater has the exact same notation on it, "Do Not Immerse Beyond Water Level", but the whole button story doesnt seem to apply to my 150w ebo heater, the button is either stuck or it isnt a button, lol, when you guys got yours were the buttons stiff at all, i dont want to try and force it

-Kevin

i think the ones labled "do not immerse beyond water level" is meant to be sold in Canada. i was told that the canadian equivalent of UL (i forget their initials) requires additional testings for electronics thats meant to be used submerged, and EBO decided not to spend money on the additional testing and instead label the heater as non-submersible in canada

i personally have two EBO's of the same wattage, one bought in a local petstore in the US and one from bigalsonline cus it was cheaper. the one from bigals have the 'do not immerse...' while the one from LFS label the same line as 'min. water level'...they're all being used submerged.

AchillesHeel: Yeah, I tried pressing/pulling on the 'button' for a while and had no luck. Not sure if it just needs some real man handling, or what, but I'm afraid to use too much pressure because I don't want to break it.

-moore

Archived