Coral Vue Hydros

Calcium dosing salifert calcium test questions, also alk questions =).

mane3215

Ok, so I get my test kits today. After the fiasco of not having a chart with my ph, i go to calcium. I do the test and come up with 330ppm. I think, hmm thats low, I am going to dose some b ionic calcium buffer. I look on the bottle and it says 1ml per gallon will raise 16ppm. I did some screwy math and somehow came out with the # 6ml to get it up to about 440ppm. Just as I type this I realize I did a serious mathmatical miscalculation heh. Looks like more dosing when I am done. Anyway, 6ml took it up to 340ppm heh. Looks like I have a lot of dosing to do to get it up to par.

Also my alk kit came, I tested with it, and it shows my alk at 11.5. Now I think this should be more around 8, is it dangerous this high? Do I need to do somethign to get it down?

Thanks.

Well first, I am not sure the size of your tank, but if you are need to increase the Calcium dramatically, I think it is best to drip it slowly. I think it might be risky to raise it 100ppm in one day also, you don't want to precipitate it. I am cycling a new tank and have to add a few mLs of B-ionic calcium every other day to keep it in the mid 400s (10gal).

What alkalinity test are you using? Salifert only goes up to like 5.5 meq/L. is 11.5 (your reading) in meq/L? It sounds like dH. My cycling tank has been sort of high in the alkalinity (that is why I am trying to up the calcium) around 6.5-7 meq/L. That isn't dangerous though, just can play havoc on the tank chemistry.

If your alkalinity is high, when you up the calcium and it equilibrates the alkalinity will go down. Have to keep on the calcium doses though I think...

Thanks for the info. I have added 40ml of calcium today over the past couple of hours, and will continue through the next couple of days until its up to about 430-440ppm. I am glad to hear that it will equalize out the alk. My reading for alk is by the salifert test kit. Its 11.5dKH 4.11 meq/L.

Also the tank is a 20g. Everything seems to be doing super good, and no problems anywhere. I hope getting this straight helps make it even better =).

Thanks for the input.

Archived